PDA

View Full Version : New Tank

welder1
03/09/2015, 05:33 PM
Hello. It has been 2 yrs since I first filled my aquarium to test the plumbing for any leaks. It has sat empty ever since. My wife was going to put Chrismas decorations in it so I decided it was time to put some corals and fish. So in January I filled it with salt water live sand and crushed coral. It sat for 5 weeks. This is where this gets interesting..... I found someone downsizing from 1-120 gal tank and a 220 gal tank to just the 220 gal tank. So I purchased his 6 yr old 120 gal reef tank 2 weeks ago. He lives in MD and I am on the coast of NC. My grandson and I rented a cargo van drove to Md and picked up everything. Got there early sarturday morning and put everything into brute trash cans and plastic tots. kept water on everything, all the live rock and corals and one trash can with fish. Did I say a lot of fish? 11 to be exact. We left Md at 1:00 pm and arrived in NC at 8:30. (all the snow slowed us up a little) Took 1/2 the water out of my tank. I had already made sure my tenp. and salinity where the same as His. Began placing the live rock and corals. By 2:00 am I was ready to transfer all the fish( I had been acclumating since my return home with a 1/4 inch hose drip. 3 am off to bed. Its been 16 days and everything is doing well. Have alot of questions first the phospate are a noticable trying to get them down. Nitrates are 20ppm everything thing else is good. ph is 8.3. I have been monitoring close because I thought I might get a ammonia spike but so far so good.

thegrun
03/09/2015, 08:37 PM
Welcome to Reef central! If you were going to see ammonia it would have been in the first 4-5 days, so you should be safe now. Water changes will help lower your nitrates, I would look into running a GFO reactor for the phosphates.