PDA

View Full Version : Gathering information and ideas before I start 40B reef tank

koko maung
03/10/2015, 12:59 AM
Hey Everyone,

I am totally new to forum and reef tank. I have been keeping fresh water aquarium for about 5 years so I do have basic knowledge of water parameter and chemistry.

I am planning on setting up a reef tank in about 1-2 months. So I am currently gathering information and planning as much as I can. I will be starting out with 40B tank with live sand and dry rock. I would like to have a pair of clownfish, gobies, gramma, wrasse, firefish, emerald crab, shrimp and clean up crews. I am not really sure what type corals I am going to get yet but I would like to get something that clownfish like to host, glows and colorful. I do have RO/DI system so I can do weekly water changes.

Following are my questions
1. Is it possible to setup a tank with 500 - 800 budget? without sump and skimmer.
2. I don't have room for sump so it is possible to keep a tank without any filtration system?
3. If I end up getting skimmer, which one do you guys recommend? I don't want to spend a lot and get a decent skimmer that quite.
4. What kind of lighting should I get? A friend of mine told me that 4x t5 would be best fit for me since its cheap. What would you guys recommend?
5. Which power head should I get?
6. Where do you guys buy food for corals and fish? Online?
7. Would it be cheaper and get better quality product from online or LFS? Where do you guys usually order dry rock, food and fish?
8. What are the essential items that I must invest?

Feel free to leave comments, recommendation, experience and thoughts please. Anything is useful

Thanks in advance,
KoKo

RocketEngineer
03/10/2015, 08:16 AM
First off, I think you have too many fish for such a small tank. I just set up a 40B at work and will likely only have 3-4 small fish in it once everything is up and running. My office tank is sumpless as well.

To answer your questions:

1) Theoretically its possible. If you are willing to forgo some automation it gets less expensive. If you are willing to get used equipment instead of new it is definitely doable. A pump and 5g bucket to mix water in plus the RODI unit you already have for water changes. A pair of basic powerheads, a heater, dry rock and dry sand, a used light and of course the tank and stand and you're in business.
2) Most of the filtration occurs by bacteria growing on the rock, glass and in the sand. More biology and less technology is the way to go.
3) I used a Reef Octopus BF-1000 for a my quarantine tank and never had any major problems with it. For my new tank I'm going with at Tunze 9004 as that skimmer is totally internal so no chance of it leaking outside the tank. I've seen good reviews on it but mine is currently in the mail so I don't have any hands on comments yet.
4) 4X T5 is plenty for such a shallow tank. I would look for a used 36" ATI fixture which is fairly common and always seems to have good reviews. A 6 bulb version would give you more bulb options but either the 4 or 6 bulb versions would be plenty. Another option is a retrofit kit. I built a box to go around a kit I already had so I could reuse it. They do require assembly but are less expensive than brand new fixtures.
5) Personally, I like Tunze because they are known for their quality. A couple basic ones are fairly inexpensive and even used ones should last a long time. There are other inexpensive options available but I'm not sure on how long they would last. By comparison Tunze has been around for decades.
6) Food is easy to find. Even my local chain fish stores carry quality dry foods for SW tanks. Frozen is best picked locally and I get it from either my LFS or the chain stores. I tend to mix different kinds to provide a decent variety.
7) Most of the time you find better prices for equipment online. If the order is big enough you can usually get free shipping. Livestock is a little more tricky and depends on where you live. I'm right down the road from a quality online retailer so I go there for livestock. Shipping fish/corals is expensive.
8) Tank and stand, light, heater, powerheads (I recommend 2 to start). RODI is considered a must by most folks and having buckets, a mixing pump, and your own salt is always prudent. A timer for your lights helps with consistency. The rest is just a matter of how much work you want to put into the system. A skimmer will help remove nutrients before they can build up. An ATO keeps salinity the same. The list gets long after that.

Keep reading. Check out build threads in the Reef Discussion section and see what others have done. GO SLOW. Patience is key in this hobby.

Good luck,

koko maung
03/10/2015, 10:51 AM
Thank for replying rocket. A few more questions

1. If you were to get skimmer that go into sump which one would you get?
2. Which fish should I get take off from my list?

mmittlesteadt
03/10/2015, 11:21 AM
I'm at the beginning stages of setting up a 40 gallon breeder myself, so I'll be following your progress and suggestions others offer up.

GilliganReef
03/10/2015, 11:58 AM
I also have a 40b/20l sump mixed reef. I am currently in the market for a new skimmer also. I have been looking at-
Reef Octopus Classic 110INT 4” Internal Protein Skimmer
Reef Octopus Classic 110 Space Saver Protein Skimmer
Reason I am leaning towards these two, because both are in my price range under $300 and both I will be able to use on my upgrade this late summer/fall to an 65g.
I was able to build a 40B w/20L sump, DIY stand, hydor L40 pump, 2 hydor 850 wavemakers, and coral life T5Ho lunar lighting for under 800. Including 60lbs Dry sand and 20lb LS. Doesnt include my LR which I had 30lbs of dead rock from my first tank 10 yrs ago I cooked for 3 mos in a tote in the summer of 2013.
Good luck keep researching and dont buy a cheap skimmer go buy the best you can get. Trust me I did that on mine, Coral life needle skimmer 120g for $75 <brand new. Thing is junk.

Good luck and happy reading.

RocketEngineer
03/10/2015, 12:24 PM
If I were to go with an in sump skimmer for a tank that size, I would probably stick with Reef Octopus and get an INT-110. I had a INT-150 from them on my 75g setup and it did a decent job the entire time I used it. Its currently the backup for the one I have now.

I would go with only one goby and drop the wrasse. The five fish may be pushing it some but if you keep on top of the water quality you should be ok.

GilliganReef
03/10/2015, 01:57 PM
I would go with only one goby and drop the wrasse. The five fish may be pushing it some but if you keep on top of the water quality you should be ok.

I would recommned kepping it below 4 fish in the tank. Like you said pair of clowns with either a goby or blenny. You can also get skunk shrimp or w/e shrimp you like.

Rocket can you give me more insight on what you think of the INT-150? Casue I am leaning towards that for my 65g.

koko maung
03/10/2015, 10:44 PM
Gilligan, Will pistol shrimp work?

mandarin_goby
03/11/2015, 05:25 AM
In my 40b (equipment list in my signature), I have a starry blenny, a hi fin goby paired with a pistol, a pajama Cardinal, a clown who loves her torch coral and bubbletip nem, a Hector's goby, a fat and happy mandarin and a chromis. All are doing very well. I also have a peppermint and cleaner shrimps. I picked the smallest-sized fish so I could watch them grow...most of them I've had over a year now, some I've had for 2.

I have a HOB skimmer (Bak Pak 2) in the sump (bought it when I was sumpless), saves a lot of room in the sump and works great.

My pumps, overflow, and light were all bought used. I bought a cheapy $40 Petco stand. You can skimp on some things, but don't do what I did and buy cheap pumps and a light. It's money wasted!

Best of luck, 40bs are awesome :)

GilliganReef
03/11/2015, 10:04 AM
Gilligan, Will pistol shrimp work?

In my tank I currently have a PJ cardinal, Maroon clown (Paris -Queen), Blue green Chromis and Blue devil Damsel. I have about 18-25 Hermits, 4 Peppermint shrimp 3 (DT) 1 (Sump) and 1-2 snails. Had more snails, but lost all of them, lawnmower blenny, and a abalone to DINOs. Corals - frog spawn, hammer, GSP, Trumpet, Zoas, and favia.

I would love to add another blenny, but I am still 2 months out until I add anything else. I just got done battling Dinos last month and finally starting to see good algae growth. Happy to see all my coraline algae still on my rocks since being covered with dinos for 6mos.