PDA

View Full Version : How to bring home healthy fish

Oakes1523
03/10/2015, 01:14 AM
My question is when I buy the fish at my lfs, how do I make sure they do not get sick or diseases? I put them in a quarantine tank with copper as instructed for 30 days before into the display tank?

Oakes1523
03/10/2015, 01:14 AM
Iv suffered through ick and pray to the fish God I do not go through it again

pyithar
03/10/2015, 02:20 AM
if you see one fish that has ich at the fish shop, it usually means all of their fishes have ich when all the tanks are connected. in that case, find a another fish shop. before you buy a fish, check for white spots and bumps on body and gills, cloudy eyes, pinched stomach, frayed fins, color, see if it's active and not hiding, let them feed and see if it's eating.
after bring them home, quarantine first.

Oakes1523
03/10/2015, 02:43 AM
I'm talking o you on the other thread I think too but I cannot have ice again, if I do I'm probably going sell everything and I really love this hobby but one more ick outbreak and I probably can't do it anymore. Should I jist leave the tang out? Leaving the tang out will lower the chances of ick getting in the tank at all right? Or do you think if I quarintine I should be okay?

kmbyrnes
03/10/2015, 07:03 AM
Don't give up. Ich is not fun but it can be dealt with successfully.
Read the threads on ich treatments.
Once you have rid all traces of ich from your DT by fallowing it, be diligent in QT-ing all new livestock.
You have to be patient and follow good QT procedures.

tmz
03/10/2015, 08:33 AM
This thread may be of interest:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2185929&highlight=fish+acclimation+and+quarantine

pyithar
03/10/2015, 08:50 AM
I'm talking o you on the other thread I think too but I cannot have ice again, if I do I'm probably going sell everything and I really love this hobby but one more ick outbreak and I probably can't do it anymore. Should I jist leave the tang out? Leaving the tang out will lower the chances of ick getting in the tank at all right? Or do you think if I quarintine I should be okay?

you will be okay. don't worry about ich too much. we all had to go through that at one point. research, ask questions, and do your best. even if you had ich again, you could still grow corals while treating the fish. :)

Oakes1523
03/10/2015, 01:51 PM
Should I get a fox face rabbit fish instead of my tang? I really don't want to go through ick and have to fallow again, do fox face rabbit fish and butterfly get along? If not what butterfly would go well with the fox face