PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

Jordan11b
03/10/2015, 02:52 AM
Whats going on guys. Im buying a 75 gallon used tank and stand from my lfs. Getting a great deal since they said its just taking up space. Im pretty new to reefing, as I've only had a 29Gal Biocube for about 3 months now. But I know that I want to get a bigger tank and this is my chance. The tank it not drilled, So im trying to get info on buying/ building a refugium and how much yall have spent on building yalls. Any help would be great. Im really curious on the drilling of the tank.

fishgate
03/10/2015, 05:52 AM
Drilling is easy as long as the tank is drillable. Most 75s are I think. I have at least $5k in my 125 and probably more. I built my own sumps (2) using 40B and glass partitions. I got both tanks on the $1/gallon sale and the glass is around $35 (silicone is $10). Easy Peasy!

Robert M
03/10/2015, 06:28 AM
I have not drilled a tank but as fishgate mentioned, it looks easy enough if using the proper tools and materials. You cannot drill if the glass is tempered. It will shatter. You can drill using a diamond hole saw bit. I have cut glass using a wet saw with great success. Take your time, allow the tool to do the work.

scooter31707
03/10/2015, 07:16 AM
or you have the option of using purchasing a overflow box.

Sgt Jonny Cat
03/10/2015, 07:36 AM
You could see if the lfs will drill it for you. Some will do it. I have a 55 gallon and I have a. Eshopps 800 over flow box. It runs into 30 gallon sump. I made it myself with glass partitions and silicone. Very easy. I got 5 be tank on Craigs list for 25 bucks. I have had the over flow since July and it works great. Check out you tube diy sumps. There's a bunch of videos. Good luck.