PDA

View Full Version : Can a fish get ich after qt

Oakes1523
03/10/2015, 04:26 AM
If I don't have ich in my system and let the tank fallow for 8 weeks, and I qt all my incoming fish, will they still be able to get ich? I heard if you don't have ich in your system and you qt all fish they can not get ich.

kenpau
03/10/2015, 06:06 AM
It's definitely a good idea to quarantine your fish however there are more diseases to be aware of than just ich. I'm not sure if ich can enter the tank without a live host, however there are threads around stating that it could possibly be introduced on pieces of rock, coral plugs etc
If you always assume that ich is present in your tank and act accordingly then you shouldn't go too far wrong. By having good water quality, not overstocking and having appropriate fish for your size tank then you'll have a healthy reef without having to worry about diseases for the most part.

ca1ore
03/10/2015, 06:47 AM
If your tank is really ich free, and if you have a clean fish post QT then, no, the fish would not be able to get ich. If it did then either your tank was not ich free, or something snuck through QT.