PDA

View Full Version : "Group" fish??

Goldndoodle
03/10/2015, 06:15 AM
I've read several posts here suggesting that any groups of same species fish, will ultimately fight until there is only 1 survivor.

At the same time, I see lots of posts here, and articles elsewhere online, suggesting that some species do better in an aquarium in small groups - 2 or 3.

I'm getting ready to make the first new purchase for my tank, after introducing my 15 month old nanoCube fish to the new tank this past weekend. (New purchases will first go through 12 days of TTM, then 18 days observation QT)

I would like to buy at least 2, but preferably 3, Orchestriped Cardinalfish to be a group. They are listed by LiveAquaria as being "peaceful" and will setup a non-aggressive hierarchy within the group.

Does anyone have any experience with groups of Cardinalfish in their tank?

eatbreakfast
03/10/2015, 06:38 AM
Most cardinalfish species will remain peaceful and NOT kill each other off, the notable exception to this is Bangaii cardinals, but the ochre striped cardinals will be fine.

supervdl
03/10/2015, 06:44 AM
Try some Anthias if you are new to this try some easier ones first. LA has a wide selection.

kenpau
03/10/2015, 06:44 AM
I have 15 yellow striped cardinals in my tank. Awesome fish, they shoal well, are peaceful and make the reef look much more natural imo.

Goldndoodle
03/10/2015, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking when people here say that "Cardinalfish will kill each other off" - they're speaking in generality of the Bengali Cardinalfish.

I'm going to get 3 Orche striped then.

BTW supervdl - Anthias is on my wish list - but they'll be one of the last fish to go in the tank, sometime around September. The LFS I frequent has both males and females - I'm planning on a pair.

Jason S
03/10/2015, 08:40 AM
Just watch out for the Highlander Cardinalfish... There can be only one!

Ok... bad joke :D

Like others have said, there are many fish that can be kept in a school, and there are some that do well in pairs or harems. Most Clowns do fine in pairs, while there are some wrasses and Anthias that will do well in a harem environment. Firefish, most cardinals, etc can do fine in schools too, but even then, you may see some squabbling over time. Just know that in Saltwater, nothing is certain as each fish will decide on it's own, but I do not think you would have an issue with the Ochre Stripes.

Goldndoodle
03/13/2015, 03:07 PM
I got 3 Orche Striped Cardinalfish from LiveAquaria, they were delivered today.

All 3 in 1st TTM tank for quarantine protocol. They're already schooling in a group. VERY cool to see! 29 more days, until I get to see them doing that in the DT.