PDA

View Full Version : 12 g nano setup questions

nancylm
03/10/2015, 06:46 AM
I have a 12G tank that I was freshwater for a couple years. I moved the last few inhabitants over to my larger tank and would like to convert my existing tank to salt. Here is what I am thinking:

1: Get live sand (Ocean Direct 1 inch deep), live rock (10 lbs of pourous), mix salty water, and cycle the tank. Questions: am I right that I don't have to do anything except monitor the levels here since there won't be any fish in the tank? Do I need to add anything at this stage? Sidenote - I will have a heater, powerhead, HOB filter. Am I missing anything? From what I have read, in a tank this small you can be ok without a skimmer and refugium if you do frequent water changes and close monitoring.

2: When I start seeing things growing add a clean up crew. Keep monitoring levels. I want them to be stable for a while so I know they're ok and it's not just luck. How long would that be?? lol

3: once the levels are stable add one Fish. My kids want a clown. I'm thinking a captive bred Ocellaris. I know it can't stay in my 12G forever. But would 6 months to a year or so be ok? I know how big they get but I can't find much info on how fast they grow. I've read that they will use almost anything as a host and I saw a picture of some using one of those spiky balls that sort of look like an anemone. Thought I might try one of those until I'm ready to try a real one. (Do clowns always have to be in pairs? I've read that they often like to be. If I got two, how big would their forever home need to be? I know the minimum for one is 20G but I can't find out how much for two.) Also - How would adding a refugium change things? Do the clowns really need the space to swim or is it more about water quality? I am under the impression that they don't go too far from their host. So I have a small space for the tank but it does have a cabinet under with space for a refugium if that would help)

4: monitor the levels again. Until I feel like I can manage an easy coral. Will need to upgrade my lights. I am overwhelmed by that part as I'm sure I want LEDs but not sure how to know if they are strong enough. Am I right that I don't need to worry about the lights too much until this point? I can use regular lights with FOWLR tank?

5: If I keep one coral alive I'll add another

Also a question about water. I keep reading in some places that RO water is a must and in others it's bad because it strips minerals. Can anyone help me understand?

Thanks in advance for help.

nancylm
03/10/2015, 08:44 AM
Oh another question - how would you start a qt for a saltwater tank? I usually just kept an extra filter in my fresh tank so I could move some water to my 10g if I needed to. But as I am starting from scratch I'm guessing I just set it up with a filter and live rock then let it cycle with my main tank? Would you add sand?

Elladan
03/10/2015, 09:04 AM
Hi, I myself set up a 12g nano reef about two years ago, and followed something like the path you're describing. I started with a good light (my 150w Kessil has been excellent), so after the cleanup crew, I went with corals, not fish. I added two, waited a couple of weeks, then added a couple more and a couple of fish. Mind, for those first couple of months, I was logging my water specs in a spreadsheet every day!

Until recently, I used RO water at the advice of (and mixed by) my local fish keeper. Now I live in a place without a decent store nearby, so I have to mix my own. In the absence of an RO filter at home, I've been using purified water from the grocery with Instant Ocean. I have to say, I thought my results were a bit better with RO water.

But sorry, I've no experience with qts.

pyithar
03/10/2015, 09:22 AM
1. you'll need to add ammonia source like a raw shrimp to start the cycle.
2. test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. when ammonia and nitrite become zero, you can add CUC
3. i guess a clown will be ok in there for a while. don't get the very big one. clowns will host what they want, sometimes even a powerhead. a pair would need a minimum of 30G imo. adding refugium or sump means more water volume added to the system. more water= more stability. moreover you could hide things like heater in the sump.
4.yes. you'll need to upgrade the lighting when you decide to keep corals.
5.ok. good luck.
6. you could cycle the qt. or keep a new filter pad in your sump for a while and use it for qt. no sand or liverocks needed for the qt if you plan to medicate the fish. only put a couple of pvc tees and elbows for hiding.

nancylm
03/10/2015, 10:30 AM
thanks.

I thought the decaying organisms from the live rock would start the cycle. thanks for the heads up - I would have been waiting a while!

Do you add anything to the RO water to make up for the stripped minerals? or is everything in the salt mixture?

pyithar
03/10/2015, 08:35 PM
RO/DI is better. you don't need to add anything. everyhting's in the salt mix.

nancylm
03/11/2015, 06:40 AM
Thanks again. I just found out that my LFS sells premixed water so things just got a lot easier!

GilliganReef
03/11/2015, 09:48 AM
Thanks again. I just found out that my LFS sells premixed water so things just got a lot easier!

I would recommend getting into the habit of mixing your own salt. I know it’s nice for your LFS, but usually they don’t keep it high enough for corals. My LFS keeps theirs at 1.021 with IO Reef. Also you can run into a risk of them mixing a bad batch of salt. With mixing your own you have more control and know what’s going in your tank. “Knowing is half the battle”