PDA

View Full Version : everything was looking good

CComstock26
03/10/2015, 07:53 AM
hi everybody I got a 75 gal reef tank with current usa orbit marine led reef lightin. my candy canes were out looking nice and two weeks later they kinda big but looked dryed up. my leather hand coral is lend over but got a lot of little polys coming out but just leands a lot. my frogspawn is opening nice and way of everything my hammerhead got little tents coming out but doesn't come out fully and I have it half way in the tank not a lot of flow to it. my star polys only 10 come out but not all the way and I got it middle range high lighting to strong flow. cal 500 mag is 1500 alk 12 ph 8.2 sal 1.026 nir ammo nir all at 0 ppm. any help we will be good

Jason S
03/10/2015, 08:55 AM
I know there will be some people that will disagree with me, but after 20 years of reefkeeping, I know what works for me. I actually like to keep my Alk a bit lower than that, and I have had no issues in the 8-9ish range, I keep Mag at 1250 ish, and I like my calcium around the 420 ppm range. My reasoning is simple... the surface seawater around the natural reefs has chemistry that is quite different than what many hobbyists recommend, but I choose not to argue with nature.

That said, can you tell us more about your tank? Particularly the age, cycle process, and the lighting settings? What type of lighting were the corals under when you bought them?

kmbyrnes
03/10/2015, 03:13 PM
I am finding as my tank matures, and different corals grow more, that others aren't doing as well. I guess you can't keep everything happy.
My zoas and palys used to thrive but as my frogspawn and torch grow, the polyps are receding. Used to be I couldn't keep montis. Now they are doing fine but my mushrooms aren't as open as before.
You just have to try to find a balance based on what your tank tells you.

Sk8r
03/10/2015, 04:18 PM
Run carbon. Softies and stonies don't like each other much and carbon will remove the softies spit. Your alk is a bit high for the 8.3 I've found works for lps stony.

snorvich
03/10/2015, 04:35 PM
Run carbon. Softies and stonies don't like each other much and carbon will remove the softies spit. Your alk is a bit high for the 8.3 I've found works for lps stony.

yes, if you want to understand more, Google 'Alleopathy'