PDA

View Full Version : 3g QT - water changes

WhiteTang
03/10/2015, 09:29 AM
Hi.

I will soon be seeing up a 3g QT.
How often do you think I will need to do 100% water changes before ammonia builds up? 2 juvenile ocellaris will be in the tank.

I will not be having ANY kind of bio- or chemical filtration since I will be dosing cupramine.

gone fishin
03/10/2015, 09:35 AM
Just a guess but I would be prepared for at least once a day.

Dmorty217
03/10/2015, 09:40 AM
The tank is too small for dosing meds if need be and for trying to control ammonia even if your doing 100% water changes daily. Ammonia can become a issue in a tank like that in no time flat... What are you going to do if something happens in the tank when your not standing right next to it? I would rethink your plan

pyithar
03/10/2015, 09:51 AM
my guess is every other day but why not get a 10G or a 15G? 3G is too small to treat fish imo.

fishgate
03/10/2015, 10:41 AM
3g is a goldfish bowl. How are you going to heat it?

WhiteTang
03/11/2015, 06:52 AM
Tha idea came from various pico reef tanks that I have seen on the internet!
So I guessed if it work to keep alive corals, invertebrates and clowns it would be definitely going to work as a QT for my 16G nano.

The reason I am going so small for a QT is because I have space issues. Thats also the reason I have a 16g nano tank in the first place.

The setup is:
Dennerle NanoCube 10L
Hydor internal filter Crystal Crystal Mini - K10 - water movement and oxygenation.
Hydor automatic heater 25 W

The plan is to monitor ammonia and do water changes accordingly. My guess would be every 3 days.

If this guy can keep a proper reef in a 3G, I don't see why I can't use it as a QT.

WhiteTang
03/11/2015, 06:53 AM
3g is a goldfish bowl. How are you going to heat it?

With a Hydor automatic heater 25 W.

WhiteTang
03/11/2015, 06:54 AM
my guess is every other day but why not get a 10G or a 15G? 3G is too small to treat fish imo.

My main tank is a 16g nano. And since space is a big issue I chose to go with a 3g QT.

WhiteTang
03/11/2015, 06:58 AM
The tank is too small for dosing meds if need be and for trying to control ammonia even if your doing 100% water changes daily. Ammonia can become a issue in a tank like that in no time flat... What are you going to do if something happens in the tank when your not standing right next to it? I would rethink your plan

Why do you think it is too small for dosing meds?
I will dose the proper amount of meds according to the water volume. Ammonia will not be an issue with 100% water changes! Also I will monitor the tank daily the first week to see how often I will need to do water changes because of ammonia.

igot2gats
03/11/2015, 07:27 AM

I agree. If you're going to set up a QT, a 10g is a minimum. You won't think twice about it, once you get a bigger QT.

pyithar
03/11/2015, 07:31 AM
Why do you think it is too small for dosing meds?
I will dose the proper amount of meds according to the water volume. Ammonia will not be an issue with 100% water changes! Also I will monitor the tank daily the first week to see how often I will need to do water changes because of ammonia.

you should use the seachem ammonia test kits. other kits might show false readings. from seachem website:

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Cupramine.html#faq4

WhiteTang
03/11/2015, 09:27 AM
you should use the seachem ammonia test kits. other kits might show false readings. from seachem website:

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Cupramine.html#faq4

Thank you for the tip, this will be very helpful!
I did consider a testing period of 1-2 weeks to determine how fast ammonia will rise in such a small tank before adding any cupramine but I did not know that other ammonia test get false readings!
Thank you! :)