PDA

View Full Version : Stepping up from 12g nano reef to twin 30g tanks

Elladan
03/10/2015, 09:41 AM
Hi, posting here as it's my first time on the forum. I thought I had made a similar long post yesterday, but it somehow failed to upload. I can't find it, anyway. Sigh. Anyway, I'm moving from a 12g nano up to two 30g rimless tanks sharing a common sump. Below, I'll provide details about both setups for background, but you won't want to read any of that stuff unless you're willing to offer advice on what euipment I need and what will be superfluous, guidance on setting up my new tanks, and -- especially -- what filtration will best suit my needs. If you're feeling kind, please read on! I'd really appreciate any help this forum could offer, as this is my first step into the "real" world of reef keeping, and I've much to learn.

Current Tank
I've run a 12g Fluval Edge reef tank with stock filtration, a small powerhead, and a 150w Kessil LED fixture for about two years, now. As I'm sure you'll recognize, the tank has a nice form factor, but is basically impossible to clean really well. It's done well, though, with weekly or biweekly 40% water changes.
The tank has a crushed coral substrate and about 15 lbs of live rock 'scaped in a cliff-face formation. I've kept as many as four fish at a time: a watchman goby (paired with pistol shrimp), a wrasse, a basslet, and several Banggai cardinal fish (all of which that have perished, though one grew large first). In addition to the pistol shrimp, I've kept a skunk cleaner shrimp, hermits and a number of snails. I've raised a number of soft and hard corals, as well: polyping leather mushroom, trumpet corals, a galaxy, star polyps -- the first addition to the tank, they grew wonderfully for two years, but have recently died almost completely back -- bird's nest, palys, and zoos. My hammers have been spectacularly successful, going from two to ten heads (I had to frag it and sell it to a store and would need to do so again now, were I not about to move into a larger tank). I suspect fireworms in the deaths of a number of soft corals, particularly zoos, which often seem to die off one colony at a time. I've removed two of the things from the tank; the second was only an inch long, but the first was a good four inches. A few months ago, the tank endured a move of three hours, which basically meant 5-6 hours in cups and coolers, with no fatalities, so I'd say it's fairly robust.

New Tanks
Before leaving my old studio apartment for my new house, I purchased from the local fish keeper a well-kept display tank setup consisting of:
-two 24x24x12" 30g rimless tanks with corner overflows
-a standard 33g long sump tank with a single W-shaped glass bubble trap
-heaters, pump, decent protein skimmer, bulkheads and flexible hose plumbing
-two EVO hanging LED fixtures with adjustable white and blue spectra, with timers

The idea was to use the two tanks to display two different habitats side by side. One will have a fine-substrate and be home to a mixed fish/invert/coral reef community, i.e., most of my old tank's current occupants, plus some new introductions. The other tank might be clowns and anemones, or schooling fish over a zoanthid-on-glass carpet (eventually), or something I haven't thought of. Ideas are welcome, btw!
I built a 48"-tall cabinet for the new system; it will support a 120g tank if I choose to go there later. The front includes a lift-out panel exposing the entire length of the 33g sump tank, with about eight inches of clearance over the tank. The cabinet is floored with a carpet mat to absorb vibrations, over which has been fastened rubber sheeting, creating a water-tight pocket about five inches deep. I've installed power strips well above the sump's rim, with a cord exit drilled fairly on the back. The top, of course, is drilled to accomodate the tanks' outflow and return holes and bulkheads, which I have placed in the center of the table to make for easier routing of flexible plumbing. As when the cover is on, there's only a three-inch hole for the powercords, I probably need to provide for better ventilation. There is also no access to water lines, so whatever water solution I use, it's going to be of the fetch-and-carry variety for the time being.

I think I've got all the actual parts I need to get the tank running, but first I need guidance on what to do about filtration. The tanks will both have live rock in them, but probably not more than 20 lbs in either, as too much rock will make for difficult viewing of these shallow, broad tanks. The sump currently has a single bubbletrap about 40% of the way from one end. I know that one possibility is to build another bubble tank and turn the center into a refugium, but I've only the vaguest idea of what's involved. (I'll consult a guide!) I gather I could also simply strew one side of the sump with live rock rubble; is this effective? How much would I need, allowing for tank-appropriate bioloads? Or should I, rather, be thinking in terms of bioballs, as they may be the easiest and neatest solution.
I've got a few other questions, as well:
-Do I need a phosphate reactor immediately? If not now, then when should I get one? Ditto for a calcium reactor. I'm happy to dose, particularly now that I will have a sump.
-Do you have any advice on connecting the plumbing? Is there anything I should do to make sure it's all secure as it can be? New gaskets, or whatever?
-Is there a simple graivty-based solution to topping off? An electrical system seems like overkill for this application, but I could be wrong there.
-As I don't have the space to install an under-sink RO/DI filter and tank in the kitchen, what would be my next best bet for a water source? Are there systems that can be used with an outdoor hose bib? I've been buying purified water for my changes since leaving my old town, where I bought water from my fish keeper.
-Am I stupid and missing anything I ought to be thinking about?

Thanks, I appreciate any advice y'all have to offer.

edinphilly
03/10/2015, 10:17 AM
I have a sumpless 29g standard. After a year I got a Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO. I REALLY wish I'd gotten it sooner. It is probably my favorite piece of equipment and I'd get another for even a ten gallon tank. Definitely makes sense with your system. If cost is an issue try and find a used one.

Elladan
03/11/2015, 11:13 AM
That's a attractive idea, but I think I'd have to make some significant compromises to fit a large topoff container inside my stand. I could get a smaller sump tank, but that seems like a big sacrifice...

Any advice on filtration, folks?