PDA

View Full Version : Is this LFS being honest?

nancylm
03/10/2015, 11:55 AM
I noticed that they were selling real reef live rock (the aquacultures stuff) for 2/3 off. When I called and asked about it he said it wan't good and that I should buy rubble. I was curious so I checked his website and the other one was back up the the original price (it was still 2/3 off this morning). I thought ru\bble was for in a refugium. It doesn't look very nice.

Which would you use in a nano? (12 G)

Jason S
03/10/2015, 12:15 PM
Maybe my definition of rubble and his are different. My definition is small pieces that would not be suitable for aquascaping and are an inch or so across. I would just use smaller pieces of rock that suit your taste.

nancylm
03/10/2015, 12:20 PM
ok thanks. It seems strange to me that he changed the sale on his website as soon as I asked about it.

nancylm
03/10/2015, 12:21 PM
Maybe I'll check out what exactly he is calling rubble. But I thought the same as you.

TangingOut
03/10/2015, 12:25 PM
He's right about the man-made stuff not being very good. They're not very porous and really heavy so you're paying more on top of the already premium price. I hear the newer generation of this stuff approved upon those drawbacks, but I would go for real stuff. Dry rock is also better value and hitch hiker free, but not as bio diverse.

nancylm
03/10/2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks. The price thing wasn't an issue because the man made was actually priced cheaper than the rubble. but good to know it's not great. It just made me distrust him to see the price changed right after I asked about it. I won't give up on him yet, though. Just want to be careful as SOME stores would take advantage of someone who doesn't know much. Thanks for the help!

mcgyvr
03/10/2015, 04:05 PM
Maybe your call reminded them its not on sale anymore..
and maybe the man made is crap..

nancylm
03/10/2015, 04:21 PM
that's what it's sounding like. lol I'm glad I asked because I was definitely wondering. I appreciate having a group of knowledgeable people to get advice from.

julie180
03/10/2015, 07:19 PM
Its always best to double check the LFS advise since they are in business to make money they may be trying to sell you things you don't need. This place is full of people that are passionate about reefing and are willing to share their experiences and knowledge.