PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers/CUC/Power Head Placement.

Live Rockin
03/10/2015, 03:33 PM
Hey guys I didn't want to spam the board with three questions/topics ,so I combined them in one:lol:.. I have these three questions below that I have been trying to find straight answers for, but I am getting mixed results.

1.) Skimmer - I just recently go my skimmer up and running in a tank that is towards the end of being cycled. Nothing is in the tank right now except live rock and sand. The tank is a 90 gallon and the skimmer is sitting in a 30 gallon sump. The skimmer is a Reef Octopus 110 and I'm not sure how to set this thing. Where should the bubbles be in the neck of the skimmer? If I get them towards the top the cup starts filling up and overflows. Should I just set the bubbles a couple of inches below the top and once I get a bio load on the tank the foam will come?

2.) CUC - I'm getting close to my tank being cycled. I am getting mixed answers to whether I should add a CUC after the cycle or not? Some say wait until they have some to clean up and others say get them in right after the cycle and they can start putting a bio load on the tank to keep the cycle going. Also should anything be done to the CUC before placing them in the DT or do they just go straight in?

3.) Power Head Placement - As mentioned I have a 90 Gallon tank with a corner overflow. I have 2-1500 Koralia PH on a wave maker. Do you guys run your pumps opposite each other or pulse them together? Should I position these near the top back of the tank pointing to the front of the glass? What do you do?

Thanks in advance for any input that you may have.:wavehand:

QuiGonJay
03/10/2015, 06:52 PM
Regarding the skimmer, I am a relative Novi e as well but from the research I've done and 3 weeks in to my skimmer running I'd say try to get the bubbles right to where the tube meets the collection cup but not above. Over time they will climb up and your cup will slowly fill but should not quickly overflow. Patience is unfortunately key - I find skimmers to be very finicky and a bit frustrating at first. ;)

Live Rockin
03/10/2015, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the Response on the skimmer. This is my first go around with a skimmer and this helps. I have adjusted mine down and will keep my eye on it and make small adjustments as I go.

Live Rockin
03/11/2015, 08:29 AM
Just putting this back to the top to see if anyone can provide guidance

scooter31707
03/11/2015, 08:38 AM
For as the Power heads you have to determine what is best for your tank, for as deadspots and if you are adding corals. once you get livestock in their you will have a better understanding of the placement and notice where all the detrius settles in one spot. I could tell from deadspots and where the algae grows faster and stronger in one spot because of the lack of water flow to one spot.

scooter31707
03/11/2015, 08:41 AM
For as the CUC, I personally stock half of the CUC and did the other half 4 weeks later. I have heard you could do it either way. I did it like that because I was afraid that if I put the full potential CUC in they could have enough to feed on and some will starve.

SnoopyDaPimp
03/11/2015, 09:07 AM
Every skimmer is different. On my CPR I started with the cup really high (dry) and slowly dropped the cup 1/8"ish at a time every 6 hours until I was getting good foam and collecting waste. Where my cup sits is actually 1/4" below where CPR recommends setting it.

CUC should be fine to start integrating as long as you have had any recent spikes with your ammonia or nitrates.

I run my wavemakers on the same pattern on the same side of the tank. I have a smaller 240gph in a corner that does not get enough flow. Play with it and see what works best with your tank.

Live Rockin
03/11/2015, 09:50 AM
Thanks all for your comments. This helps and it looks like I have some trial and error yet to come, but this gives me something to work with. I am making slow adjustment on my skimmer and getting tons of micro bubbles and large bubbles in the neck of the skimmer.No foam is being produced yet , but I assume that will come.I out my PH higher up in the tank and have them bouncing off the front glass which seems to be causing more current through out the tank. I will start with a very small CUC maybe 15 to start and add 1 fish (after QT) along with a coral.

scooter31707
03/11/2015, 11:44 AM
By all means if you want to put in your CUC all at one time you can. If you do, I recommend that you put some seaweed rubberband to a rock or PVC pipe and lay it on the sandbed for the snails and crabs to eat maybe once a week if you feel that there is not enough for them to eat.