View Full Version : Live sand???

srizzutto
03/10/2015, 06:09 PM
Hi everyone
I just got my tank and am preparing for setup
What is everyone using for the bottom these days
I don't want a bare bottom, what I put on the bottom will merely be for looks

Is Aragonite still frowned upon?

How deep is deep enough without being too deep and causing problems?

Thanks in advance for the advice

EvolutionIsALie
03/10/2015, 06:42 PM
Live sand or Aragonite, live sand is the best won't need to ever replace it and don't wash it just dump it in. Live sand will help your tank cycle fast too. Live sand for the win

HeavyWater247
03/10/2015, 06:54 PM
I use CaribSea AragAlive oolite specifically. I love the fine grain and all my burrowers appreciate it as well. Mine varies between 3-4inches in depth.

http://www.caribsea.com/pages_caribsea/page_product_aragalive.html

julie180
03/10/2015, 07:12 PM
Live sand or Aragonite, live sand is the best won't need to ever replace it and don't wash it just dump it in. Live sand will help your tank cycle fast too. Live sand for the win

What do you mean will never have to be replaced? The only reason ever to replace sand is when you move tanks!

I don't think live sand is worth the cost. Not worth a couple of days off a cycle IMHO.

pyithar
03/10/2015, 09:18 PM
mine is a ssb. 1 to 2 inches, 3 inches in some area. any sand you put in the tank will become "live" eventually. just use any sand that you like as long as grains are not big enough to trap food, you're fine.

ca1ore
03/10/2015, 09:38 PM
If there's a bigger 'boondoggle' in this hobby than live sand I'm unaware of it.

srizzutto
03/11/2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks Everyone
I think I'm going to go with the Carib Sea Figi Pink

Jason S
03/11/2015, 12:20 PM
Fiji pink is a nice looking sand for the aquarium, but like others have said, the only benefit to live sand is that you do not need to rinse it first. It does not do much (if anything) to speed a cycle, and really is not worth the extra cost. In a couple of months, all sand will be "live" anyway :)

srizzutto
03/24/2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks Jason

Savant
03/24/2015, 12:32 PM
If there's a bigger 'boondoggle' in this hobby than live sand I'm unaware of it.

ROFL thats the best ever...BOONDOGGLE...describes it perfect.

I had real issues with using very fine grained sand and flow. My engineer goby and pistol shrimp love it but I did have to lay down some larger sand in the front corners and along the front panel to keep the sand bed stable.