PDA

View Full Version : Why so splashy, Wrassie?

Whiterabbitrage
03/10/2015, 07:36 PM
Have had this yellow Coris wrasse for over a year. Have just moved him into the new tank upgrade, 150 gallons. He was used to the 65 and for 3 months was in a 20 gallon holding tank. Now he is installed in the 150, and he keeps hovering around the top, jumping and splashing. He has investigated the rocks, but his main focus is pacing the top of the tank. What would cause this behavior?

JoeVandal49
03/10/2015, 09:53 PM
My Yellow Corris Wrasse does this. He also spits water out at feeding. He is in a 300g Rubbermaid stock tank. He never did it while he was in the 55 gallon tank.

Nina51
03/11/2015, 05:37 AM
any tank mates that might be harassing him?

eatbreakfast
03/11/2015, 05:48 AM
My thoughts would be that the previous tank moves were stressful on him and you are dealing with a "nervous" fish.

JoeVandal49
03/11/2015, 05:50 PM
I suppose stress of bullying could be a cause, but my Yellow corris wrasse has done this every day for over six months. When i m not around, he is in the water column doing his normal thing. The second i come to the tank he comes to the top, does his dance, and spits water out at me.

Again, every wrasse is different, and mine certainly exhibits this behavior without stress as a cause.

One thing to consider is mine is houseed in a 300g stock tank, so no viewable sides, only view able from the top, so this probably plays a factor with my particular wrasse, but he certainly exhibits this behavior daily with no stress factors from within the tank playing any major roles.

Betta132
03/11/2015, 08:26 PM
Maybe he's just being weird? Wrasses seem to be prone to doing odd things.

Whiterabbitrage
03/12/2015, 12:44 PM
Hmm. Thanks for the input, guys. No one is harassing him, Nina. He's in a 150 with a YWG and a Randalls. Maybe it was the stress of the moves, as Eatbreakfast suggested, but after the move he didn't seem stressed. He did not bury himself till his usual bedtime.
Wrasses have such odd behavior!

DivingTheWorld
03/12/2015, 12:55 PM
The only time mine touches the surface is when feeding. He attacks floating pellets like an assassin! The rest of the time he's just cruising around the tank at all depths.

Original DMx
03/13/2015, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't sweat it unless you think he might jump out or the splash is getting to your lights.

Triggerfish
03/13/2015, 10:22 AM
the one I had did the same thing on a random basis. had it for about a year was in such great shape until it jumped out when I was in process of transferring tanks over night and didn't have the top on.. I was so tired I just didn't think of it. upset over that one...