PDA

View Full Version : Rbta Question

Typography
03/11/2015, 03:29 PM
I've had rbta's in the past, and they've always been long tentacle like. So I went by a friends house and he has a kessil led and his rbta's tentacles are like bubbles. They are tight and they aren't long flowy tentacles, however when the lights are off, the tentacles change and return to the long flowy version. Is that a bad thing that his are bubble like during lighting period?

Big Dave PDX
03/11/2015, 06:23 PM
One day my BTAs have bubbles, next day they no bubbles. IME, I have seen no ill effects from BTAs changing from bubbled to no bubbles.

hotelbravo
03/11/2015, 06:46 PM
Ive heard they change shape depending on how much light they are getting and/or want. The bubblier the closer the the light and the stringier the further away. If im not mistaken...

Big Dave PDX
03/11/2015, 07:24 PM
Ive heard they change shape depending on how much light they are getting and/or want. The bubblier the closer the the light and the stringier the further away. If im not mistaken...

I'd have to disagree with this. Here is a pic with a couple BTAs inches from each other - one with bubbles, one with out.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj187/BigDavePDX/IMG_0841_zpsxgag4a6s.jpg

Big Dave PDX
03/11/2015, 07:26 PM
Hmm, picture didn't show up for me... (and I'm dumb... Lol)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj187/BigDavePDX/IMG_0841_zpsxgag4a6s.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/BigDavePDX/media/IMG_0841_zpsxgag4a6s.jpg.html)

Typography
03/11/2015, 08:40 PM
Ah Cool thanks for posting them pics, think flow matters when it comes to bubbles or long tips? Hmm maybe I should go and get an anemone again, they are awesome. Just to check in there is a variation of a rbta with a purple foot right?

Big Dave PDX
03/11/2015, 09:39 PM
I had a green one with a purple foot, it was awesome looking! It kinda crawled into the rockwork and disappeared.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj187/BigDavePDX/Greenpurplebase1_zpsa0ceca2c.jpg
Not sure if they come in the rose color or not...

30g
03/11/2015, 10:39 PM
no rhyme or reason they do what they want

top shelf
03/11/2015, 11:46 PM
no rhyme or reason they do what they want

I agree, everything I've read says there is really no clear determing factor as to why they are bubble or long. My rbta has bubble tips and my gbta literally same spot just the backside of the rock is long and flowing.

hotelbravo
03/12/2015, 08:48 AM
I'd have to disagree with this. Here is a pic with a couple BTAs inches from each other - one with bubbles, one with out.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj187/BigDavePDX/IMG_0841_zpsxgag4a6s.jpg

Well thats good to know. Nice looking RBTAs

tmanning
03/12/2015, 09:50 AM
I guess I like the bubble look, but mine swaps from bubble to no bubble. However, I do know someone who switched to LED and it changed his RBTA from stringy all the time to all bubble all the time.

hotelbravo
03/12/2015, 09:58 AM
I have never seen my RBTA turn all bubble like. I got the info about them changing shape depending on light intake from my lfs soo I guess I can see how I was wrong.

Tsancho82
03/12/2015, 10:04 AM
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/tonedizzle82/Anemone.jpg

Mine stays long and flowing all the time, no matter where it decides to call home.

Tsancho82
03/12/2015, 10:05 AM
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/tonedizzle82/Anemone.jpg

Zukari
03/12/2015, 11:10 AM
Just depends on the individual anemone. In my 125 where there is a lot of flow they are all long tentacle. I took some of the splits to my office reef that has very low flow and they are all bubbly.

But they will do that in my 125 too from time to time. Just doing anemone things.

Typography
03/13/2015, 01:21 AM
Just depends on the individual anemone. In my 125 where there is a lot of flow they are all long tentacle. I took some of the splits to my office reef that has very low flow and they are all bubbly.

But they will do that in my 125 too from time to time. Just doing anemone things.

Got any pics of that, just for comparison.

aquascapelove
03/14/2015, 02:16 PM
Would be interesting to find out why they decide to be one or they other if there really is a rhyme and reason for it. I adore bta especially the rose ones with the bubble tentacles though long and flowy are just as beautiful

ItsTheNano
03/14/2015, 05:55 PM
I have a rose under Radions & its long stringy tentacles, i have noticed that it only bubbles when I feed it. I also have a regular green bta & that one does bubble no idea why.

dcmatranga
03/14/2015, 08:05 PM
I've had rbta's in the past, and they've always been long tentacle like. So I went by a friends house and he has a kessil led and his rbta's tentacles are like bubbles. They are tight and they aren't long flowy tentacles, however when the lights are off, the tentacles change and return to the long flowy version. Is that a bad thing that his are bubble like during lighting period?

Below on the left is my buddy's RBTA kept under real nice t5s, on the right is one he gave me when it split. Mine is kept under radion pros and has split as well - so must be happy. I also have two other RBTAs and all in my tank have longer tentacles as opposed to bulbs. I haven't been able to figure out why I can't get mine to bulb up so perfectly like his.

ItsTheNano
03/14/2015, 09:01 PM
Below on the left is my buddy's RBTA kept under real nice t5s, on the right is one he gave me when it split. Mine is kept under radion pros and has split as well - so must be happy. I also have two other RBTAs and all in my tank have longer tentacles as opposed to bulbs. I haven't been able to figure out why I can't get mine to bulb up so perfectly like his.

I always thought that btas split when stressed...

Typography
03/14/2015, 10:25 PM

Oh that rbta looks nice, and thanks for posting. My friends looks more bulb like but doesnt have that extension of the long tip after the bulb.

hoganrj1
03/15/2015, 01:20 PM
Nano. That's partial right. Nems split for several reasons. Some times because of stress. But also cause they are happy and conditions are good. The pic above are mine that my buddy was referring to. Mine has split twice and is very happy. As for bulbs vs no bulbs. I find that te further from light and flow the longer the tips will be. It also could have to do with need for food. When I don't target feed for extended times they tend to get longer.

ItsTheNano
03/16/2015, 03:13 PM
Nano. That's partial right. Nems split for several reasons. Some times because of stress. But also cause they are happy and conditions are good. The pic above are mine that my buddy was referring to. Mine has split twice and is very happy. As for bulbs vs no bulbs. I find that te further from light and flow the longer the tips will be. It also could have to do with need for food. When I don't target feed for extended times they tend to get longer.

When i had my first nem i wanted it to grow so i kept feeding it. Once it reached about 4" it split & thats when i read that feeding rbtas often without giving them time to digest can stress them causing them to split. On the other hand i now have a different rbta that i feed often i got it at about 3" the nem is huge now probably 8" when fully open.