PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla jerk

tah532
03/11/2015, 08:15 PM
Well I have a Gorilla crab and its starting to get aggressive....snipped the tip off one of my brittle stars legs today. I've tried smashing with chopstick, but he's way too fast and retreats to one of his three holes....tried the inverted water bottle but only catch hermits and brittle stars....shot glass which only caught hermits and brittle stole the shrimp out of it. What are some better options you all have had work?

Mishri
03/12/2015, 10:17 AM
I was feeding my gorilla crabs, just dumping some mysis shrimp as soon as my night lights came on. So they were out waiting for mysis shrimp when I stuck my net in, and swept it quickly above them (not trying to catch them) This caused them to lose their grip on the rock and float into the water column where I netted it easily. I've still got a few more in my tank. last one I saw out grabbed a snail and started eating it, so I grabbed my net but it was too quick for me, darted into it's hole. But I almost had it. (Actually, I don't think this one is a gorilla, I think it's a stone crab). I also made the mistake of thinking I could just grab it with the net, which I couldn't... too much rock in the way. I forgot the method of causing a rush of water to pull him off the rock.

daveM100
03/15/2015, 08:19 PM
An easy way i found was to put nori on a clip and slide it to the bottom of the tank, i do that to give my hermits a bit to eat since I don't get much algae in the display it's all in my fuge. Gorillas come out to eat it also, just stick a net behind them. I have one 3 incher left to catch, dang thing is smart!

tah532
03/18/2015, 10:09 AM
Tried some of these with no luck....I just pulled a few pieces of rock out and dunked it in RO water shaking vigorously til they fall out, and executed 6 so far this way. They keep showing up though, like roaches! lol I am going to let the rest go until they get large then try to pick them off by hand

RDM
03/24/2015, 08:12 PM
I used a clear acrylic rod about two foot long to spear/squish them. Just slide it down just above them and wham, they never saw it coming. The rest of the CUC enjoys a tasty treat so they don't go to waste. I cleared out about twenty of them this way.

water is wet
03/24/2015, 08:37 PM
Tried some of these with no luck....I just pulled a few pieces of rock out and dunked it in RO water shaking vigorously til they fall out, and executed 6 so far this way. They keep showing up though, like roaches! lol I am going to let the rest go until they get large then try to pick them off by hand

That seems like a lot of those suckers.

Where did you purchase your rock and how much do you have?