PDA

View Full Version : Biopellets no effect

SaltyReefer19
03/12/2015, 09:29 AM
hey guys, I have a 55 reef with sump, refugium, protein skimmer, live rock/sand and plenty of water movement. My story begins a few months ago with the arrival of green hair algae. I tried everything to combat this problem and then found a solution when I added gfo in a two little fishes 150 reactor. Right before this, my nitrate was reading about 100 and my phosphate at 0 from a Api test kit. I knew it couldn't be a true 0 because I had hair algea. however adding the gfo and reactor cleared my algae in a matter of days.
After the hair algea disappeared my nitrates remained at about 100 and phosphates read 0. I switched from gfo to biopellets after reading a lot of positive reviews about keeping low phosphates and nitrates. It has been about a month and there has been no drop in nitrates. I have disabled my uv sterilizer, seeded the biopellets with microbac7 and removed my gfo. I have researched a lot and have observed comments that if my phosphates are very low and nitrates very high I must raise my phosphate levels to begin the reaction which will eventually lower the nitrates. However, I have never heard anyone actually say they have solved their issue using this method. Hopefully someone knows more about this. I've since been really over feeding flake food to raise phosphates but I wonder if I should actually start dosing the phosphates.

Eyore
03/12/2015, 11:41 AM
You need an availability of po4, without it no3 will not drop

Ease off the gfo, allow a minimal amount to be testable by reducing the amount of gfo , extending time between gfo changes, at first, but concider removal entirely if po4 remains controllable

Its a balancing act

SaltyReefer19
03/12/2015, 05:24 PM
I removed gfo a few days ago and have been heavy feeding flake food for its phosphate.. I guess I just have to wait and see

rwb500
03/12/2015, 08:01 PM
how much sand and rock do you have? it seems like you are lacking sufficient denitrifying bacteria, which typically live in live rock and possibly sand, depending how deep it is.

mcgyvr
03/13/2015, 05:16 AM
Whats your water change schedule..
You will want to do a few large water changes to drop that nitrate..

tmz
03/13/2015, 10:51 AM
IMe, it can take months to drop nitrate with organic carbon dosing. Dropping it via water changes and or other methods like a sulfur denitrator and then using organic carbon to maintain it worked for me . I don't use the pellets but stongly prefer and have used vodka and vinegar for over 5.5 years. Nitrate stays very low even with very heavy feeding.

bertoni
03/13/2015, 06:17 PM
I agree that lowering the nitrate level might take some time. 100 ppm is safe for fish, so you could ignore it for the time being, but some water changes won't hurt. You might want to check the nitrite level. Nitrite will confuse nitrate test kits.