PDA

View Full Version : Distichopora care?

GT350pwns
03/12/2015, 12:02 PM
My LFS has a small colony of distichopora and I resisted the urge to impulse buy it as it is BEAUTIFUL.

I am wondering what this coral's care requirements are and if it would be that much more of an undertaking with my reef to add this specimen into it.

Thank you for any input in advance

noy
03/12/2015, 06:22 PM
I bought one of these before but could not keep it alive for more than 3 months. It was a bright fire engine red one. You don't see them around too much. I got a bit of polyp (actually gastropores) extension on it and it looks like fine white hairs. I don't think they are polyps in the sense of gorg's as they don't seem to have a capture mechanism and seem to work more from a filter/absorption mechanism. These corals don't have a circulation system for nutrients so you will need to get good coverage for feeding. (Borneman)

Once you get tissue die-off these corals are magnets for algae/cyano.

As for dietary requirements, plankton and nutrient absorption (Borneman). Melev's reef has a small write up on these corals but not much to add in terms of captive care. Low lighting and laminar flow.

I would guess rotifers (live preferably) and smaller foods like oyster feast may approximate their natural diet. Target feed multiple times a day.

Post pics and give us updates on your progress.

GT350pwns
03/13/2015, 01:24 AM
Thanks, Noy.

I'm still debating it. Hoping it's still at the store next week I might just pick it up and give it a go.

For every person i've read that has kept one of these guys long term there are 5 more I read that can't ever keep them alive. The rarity and the beauty are the two things I'm drawn to. It is a beautiful coral.

teemee
03/13/2015, 08:02 PM
Look on Aquabacs thread - an oldie, but a (better than) goodie.
He had limited success for a while.