PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a tank built by Dutch Aquariums Systems (DAS)

nightOwl
03/12/2015, 08:24 PM
I'm trying to find out if anyone has a tank built by Dutch Aquariums Systems (DAS) out of Texas. I know they do tanks and stands and some other stuff so if you have a tank or stand built by them please let me know what you think of the quality of the work. I am trying to figure out which company to go with for my next tank and any feedback on them will be great.

jay13
03/12/2015, 08:40 PM
I'm trying to find out if anyone has a tank built by Dutch Aquariums Systems (DAS) out of Texas. I know they do tanks and stands and some other stuff so if you have a tank or stand built by them please let me know what you think of the quality of the work. I am trying to figure out which company to go with for my next tank and any feedback on them will be great.

I had a buddy that had one ten+ years ago. He loved it. Raised Frontosa in it and thought it was the best thing ever. I thought it was a cluster. Lots of wasted room and poor access from the top. Things may have changed with their design since then but I can say they seemed to be built pretty sturdy. His was a 180ish "bowfront" that actually had three panels of glass to complete the front viewing area.

shocker444
03/12/2015, 09:23 PM
Have a look at Mr saltwater tank tv on youtube he bought his old tank and new 450 from them and has nothing to say bad about them plus a cool vid of the tank build process they do. i just bought a 720 gallon tank from them and stand very nice price and drive it to my door i had no leg work just 2 week wait and amazing phone help i was a little pushy on my order but they worked with me I'm very happy

dave.m
03/13/2015, 04:34 AM
Are you referring to this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crI1qQ4_uR8)? It's always helpful to include the link when you cite a video so that everyone is on the same page.

Dave.M

Reefhulk
03/13/2015, 06:19 AM
I have the same as Mr saltwater tank,.... From Das impeccable craftsmanship , best seems I have seen on glass also like the bracing,... Exceptional quality... Easy to work with reliable and honest...

shocker444
03/13/2015, 10:44 AM
Thanks dave I'm new to the forum and not to computer smart lol

nightOwl
03/13/2015, 03:14 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I have had watched that video a few times after I initially heard about them. Every time I watch I have to rewind the part where they drop the glass...lol. For those that have DAS can you post pictures of your tank. I am looking for how they have the top configured. If you are not comfortable posting a pick in this thread please let me know if I can contact you via PM. Thanks in advance!

jay13
03/13/2015, 08:10 PM
The tanks shown in that video are light years ahead of what my buddy had. Those things scream quality. His had all sorts of plastic lids built into it. They were a nightmare.

shocker444
03/13/2015, 08:34 PM
my tank i just ordered has stainles steel mesh and plastic molded together for the top border and cross braces but thats because of the size not sure what you are looking to order they do 250 rimless i can't get my pic of my design they sent me to upload so i can't show you what I'm talking about

dave.m
03/13/2015, 09:08 PM
Create an account and upload your images to a dedicated web image service like Photobucket, Flickr, etc. then link your image using the Direct address shown on the image server page. Put this image address into the Editor here on RC using the yellow icon of the mountain.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee377/djm_1/Forum%20Images/forum_mountain_img_icon.jpg

Dave.M

shocker444
03/14/2015, 12:46 PM
Thanks dave i will do that as i will be doing a build thread on my 720 so good to no

nightOwl
03/18/2015, 08:29 PM
Anyone have pictures?

Timfish
03/19/2015, 06:16 PM
They do a very nice integrated aquarium and stand and canopy in a range of colors. One of the LFS here in Austin used to sell DAS systems until it changed owners. I have one friend that has one that's 20 years old now and still going strong. However I've had two that failed at 8 years and 10 years and another friend whom I recommended get DAS years ago had his fail at about 10 years also. None of the failures were catastrophic but just slow leaks that developed allowing time to save the livestock.

nightOwl
03/19/2015, 06:21 PM
Timfish - Do you have any pictures of your old set up?

They do a very nice integrated aquarium and stand and canopy in a range of colors. One of the LFS here in Austin used to sell DAS systems until it changed owners. I have one friend that has one that's 20 years old now and still going strong. However I've had two that failed at 8 years and 10 years and another friend whom I recommended get DAS years ago had his fail at about 10 years also. None of the failures were catastrophic but just slow leaks that developed allowing time to save the livestock.

thejuggernaut
03/19/2015, 06:37 PM
I think his new 450 was made by planet aquariums. I have seen a planet aquariums tank in almost every fish store in Houston over the last year.

kkittredge
03/19/2015, 07:36 PM

Blast from the past. A 55 gallon DAS was my first reef tank about 25 years ago. Kind of crappy materials for the filter and trim, but glass was good and solid tank. I worked at that store in Austin back then when DAS was just starting up. The DAS owners would drive down from Dallas and help us carry them into the store. He has refined them quite a bit over the years. I purchased a DAS 250 island style stretch hex tank with 3/4 inch glass about 4 years ago. The hex cuts on 3/4 inch glass are very clean. By reputation they have had ups and downs from what I have heard but the 2 I have had have done well.

kkittredge
03/20/2015, 08:12 PM
Probably sacrilege to post a FW tank on this forum but take it for what it is as a pic of a das tank. 311937311938

shocker444
03/20/2015, 09:13 PM
just skimming through the post and Jay Fortay has a build thread using a DAS tank check it out nice build

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2365282

nightOwl
03/20/2015, 10:07 PM
Thanks to both of you...

kkittredge - looks like brackish fish to me....a weee bit of salt is in there :). Thanks for posting.

Probably sacrilege to post a FW tank on this forum but take it for what it is as a pic of a das tank. 311937311938

shocker444 - I will go check out the thread tonight!

just skimming through the post and Jay Fortay has a build thread using a DAS tank check it out nice build

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2365282