PDA

View Full Version : New 300DD, Shark eggs, Mangroves, etc...

griseum
03/13/2015, 06:46 AM
Took a video a few weeks ago. It includes quite a few of the tanks that are inline with the pond and the entire system.
Plus my new 300DD and Monterey Stand at the end of the video, which I really have had no time to pay any attention too. :headwallblue:

During the portion where the tank with my homemade light diffuser (egg-crate) basket of shark eggs is shown, you can also see briefly that my Majestic Angel, has not grown at all in the past two years.
The baby blueface I had trouble with at first, the yellow scopas, Semifasciatus, Bellus and a dozen or so other fish I moved into the 300, which I also plumbed inline with everything else.

The mangroves in the far end of the tank are turning 4 years old, which get trimmed from growing taller. While the closer bunch are One year old. All grown from seed propagules. They have been grown under one of the Original Chinese-LED fixtures, which is also from about 2011-2012 !! I guess I was lucky with that purchase.

I would enjoy some feedback... Thanks!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mmfK7AfwhjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

caribfan
03/13/2015, 07:00 AM
Love the look of the new deep dimension.

Mangroves look nice too, I have one old that I've been growing in my nano, but it only gets light from the sun. It's probably two years old, but just doesn't get a ton of growth.

griseum
03/13/2015, 07:18 AM
Love the look of the new deep dimension.

Mangroves look nice too, I have one old that I've been growing in my nano, but it only gets light from the sun. It's probably two years old, but just doesn't get a ton of growth.

Thanks Matt! I'd love to see a pic/video of the mangrove sometime. I find them fascinating.

Dmorty217
03/13/2015, 07:30 AM
Nice setup. Mangroves grow great if you have them reaching for a light above them. Mine got too big for my sump (light couldn't be put any higher) and the mangroves started dropping leaves and going into hibernation... Or maybe they are dying? Either way I really like them and my next setup I hope to have literal trees growing out of the refugium

RayL
03/13/2015, 09:44 AM
Amazing set up, what's your total water volume combined?

griseum
03/13/2015, 03:13 PM
Nice setup. Mangroves grow great if you have them reaching for a light above them. Mine got too big for my sump (light couldn't be put any higher) and the mangroves started dropping leaves and going into hibernation... Or maybe they are dying? Either way I really like them and my next setup I hope to have literal trees growing out of the refugium

Theres some amazing threads in the Macro Forum that gave me some ideas. You've probably seen some of them. I've always loved Julian Sprung's mangrove, display refugium. And thanks!
I get great growth with the older mangroves. I just have to remember to spray them with RO water everyday. But you're right, if I was able to raise the light I'd get more vertical growth. But, theres a tank above the light, that actually feeds the tank with the mangroves. You can see the pvc coming at an angle from right above it. The tank above is a cryptic-fuge/settling tank.

Amazing set up, what's your total water volume combined?

Hey! Thanks, as well! The total water volume depends a lot on the depth of the pond at any given time. The pond behaves a lot like a sump, showing the water lost to evaporation, or from siphoning any of the tanks, etc. The tanks stay level and the pond goes down. 1 inch of water in the pond is roughly 70-ish gallons. I try to keep it at 15-18 inches, atleast. When its at that depth, the water volume falls between 1900g and 2150 gallons.

RayL
03/13/2015, 07:04 PM
That's impressive, I love watching the videos of your pond.

Unfortunately I had to take a short break from the hobby, but when I return, my plan is to do something similar. I don't plan on the pond, but I want to have several tanks hooked up together with one large sump.
When the time comes, I might have some questions for you, but it's still going to be a while

I wish you continued success

griseum
03/14/2015, 04:25 PM
RayL- I recall reading your post a few months back during which you mentioned you were taking a break. Your Bandits were really nice!
I appreciate your compliments. I'm sure you'll come back better than ever!

G4546
03/14/2015, 08:05 PM
That's impressive, I love watching the videos of your pond.

I wish you continued success

+1

It's always nice to see what you're up to G. :)

griseum
03/15/2015, 08:00 AM
+1

It's always nice to see what you're up to G. :)

Much appreciated. Sorry to see your shark passed. Undoubtedly you did everything you could.

griseum
03/18/2015, 09:46 AM
I couldn't figure out why I had some of the eggs fouling within 20 days of being laid.
After talking with a few people, (and thanks again, Alprazo) I believe it was due to residual Praziquantel in the water.
Added a large Carbon Reactor.
So far so good.

arashsheikhpoor
03/19/2015, 09:37 AM
So cool