PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Algae scrubber while on vacation

Jyetman
03/13/2015, 06:32 PM
My scrubber screen needs cleaning every 4 to 7 days. I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks and its got me worried. Do I cut the feeding in half and reduce lighting schedule? Need advice please.

Pife
03/13/2015, 08:33 PM
Have the person that watches the tank harvest it.

ca1ore
03/13/2015, 08:47 PM
What happens if you leave it alone for two weeks? My scrubber is scraped every week, but i have left it as long as two and it's fine. A bit heavier, and sometimes a chunk of the algae breaks off, but no biggie really.

Jyetman
03/13/2015, 09:37 PM
What happens if you leave it alone for two weeks? My scrubber is scraped every week, but i have left it as long as two and it's fine. A bit heavier, and sometimes a chunk of the algae breaks off, but no biggie really.

Thank you I figured it be okay. I had no issues last year but was running low nutrients and my vacation was only 12 days too.

pyithar
03/13/2015, 11:38 PM

+1. i let my scrubbers grow for up to two weeks when i'm very busy. and everything's fine.

dkeller_nc
03/14/2015, 05:08 AM
I'd suggest the same, and I'd definitely not alter the lighting schedule of the fuge/ATS. That has the potential to kill some of the existing algae and have the nutrients that it contains wind up in your tank.

But if you're going to be gone for two weeks, I'd strongly encourage you to have a friend that's experienced in reefkeeping baby-sit your tank. If you don't know someone like that, You might consider contacting a local tank maintenance service and paying for a few visits ala carte. 2 weeks is a long time between fish feedings, and IMO it'd be risky to set up an automatic feeder for that long without someone checking on it.