PDA

View Full Version : Reef fishes and algae growth

DaveRaz
03/14/2015, 06:15 AM
I started with GFO and carbon and as a result the GFO has kept my PO4 in check. My average PO4 measurement is usually not detectable with around 30 tests thus far.

I have 2 clownfish, Kole tang and a coral beauty in the 90 gal DT. The Kole eats about anything I throw in. The clowns prefer mysis. The beauty hunts all day and usually eats pods but it's obvious she is looking for some algae to munch on off the rocks.

I have an auto feeder that feeds new spectrum sinking pellets and sinking algae pellets three time per day in small amounts. I also add a small clip of nori for the kole, the beauty ignores it. I also feed selicon soaked mysis every night.

If you're still with me, thanks! I turned off the GFO reactor last week and it went from not detectable to .17 in 6 days. My goal is to try and get some algae growth for both the kole and beauty.

Is this a bad strategy? Is there a better solution? I obviously don't want a DT packed with algae and was planning on turning the reactor back one once I gained some growth. Will the big swing in PO4 going back and forth in a short time hurt my reef?

Incidentaly, the setosa, month caps and spongodes corals had significant encrusting this week as well. Actually all my corals except the oulophyilla look pretty dang good this week.

Please advise.

Dave

Dmorty217
03/14/2015, 12:06 PM
I would just get some macro algae they will eat and put in in the tank. You don't know what kinds of algae will start to grow or not grow otherwise. Nori of different colors is a alternative