PDA

View Full Version : Orange euphyllia help

milhous3er
03/14/2015, 06:41 AM
Are the orange colored Euphyllia more delicate than say the green colored version? Reason I ask is that in my 7 years of reefing I've always had success with the traditional green variants, but the orange versions do not like me/my tank.

Talking orange torch and frogspawn. They are good for a month then slowly recede. I've tried multiple placements even directly beside other types of euphyllia but no luck.

I did notice this starting when I started dosing MG to raise it. MG always ran at 1100ish and decided to raise it with 1 cup of Mag (Sulfate I believe, crystal type) every two days and retest.

Params -
Ca - 400
Alk - 8.7
MG - 1300
SG - 1.025

Recent changes or things to be considered-
1. Ongoing brown slime on rock due to bacteria. I've taken off my BP reactor and started running carbon full time. I've been changing 35g each week of water while scrubbing the rocks to get rid of this outbreak.
2. Started dosing CA/ALK on dosing pumps. Started slow at 25ml a day.

maroonman
03/14/2015, 05:48 PM
Orange Euphyllias Do seem to be on the Delicate side of care. I notice a big difference in growth rate compared to my greens & purples. ( orange grows much slower ) I'm tempted to add T5s to the mix to see if I can Promote a little better growth. ( currently all under Custom Led Fixtures.
As it stands . They hold well under these params.

24" tank. mid level .& low level.
Low flow..just a light sway here and there.
RC Salt
SG 1.026
CA 480
Alk. 9.8-10.5
Mag. 1350
Po4 .04

milhous3er
03/15/2015, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. I don't know if it was me re-arranging my 'scape or adding MG (53ppm doesn't seem too high) that did the frogspawn in.

It's got a wee bit a flesh left. From my past experience it doesn't look to good.

sushistevek4
03/16/2015, 10:06 AM
low light my orange ball hammer does well in shaded areas and moderate flow