PDA

View Full Version : How long does Foxface Lo live in our aquariums?

Natalya
03/14/2015, 11:19 PM
Hi,
I've got Foxface Lo in my 300-l aquarium during 8 years.
8 days ago Foxface have stopped eating. He is alive so far but weak. He hasn't got any wound or another sign of any disease (faeces are present), except of whole anorexia. By the way, his behavior was normal until today morning (except of anorexia). But 8 day without food is much in any case....
I think maybe he is just very old?

AirForceAquariu
03/15/2015, 12:50 PM
While I can not answer your question, I think that those who can will want to know:
What foods are you presenting it?

CoralsAddiction
03/15/2015, 01:06 PM
He might have internal parasites. You should treat it with prazipro if you have that option.

Dmorty217
03/15/2015, 01:41 PM
I would venture to say 20+ yrs...

Natalya
03/16/2015, 12:19 AM
Thank you for your answers.
I buried my foxy yesterday. This story was a cruel lesson for me. 8 years is so much time together. He was my first sea fish...
I fed him frozen artemia and pellets omega with garlic. He have never been ill.
Dmorty217, special thanks for your answer.

Mishri
03/16/2015, 04:18 PM
garlic has been known to cause kidney(or was it liver?) issues in fish. His kidneys could have shutdown. As someone else said, most of the larger(for aquariums) marine fish can live 20+ years.

Sorry for your loss.

edit: I looked it up, heart and liver lessions were observed in a study. This is a good post on the subject:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20684311&postcount=14

Dr Colliebreath
03/16/2015, 07:23 PM
Did the food you fed have algae or seaweed, or did the fish graze algae in the aquarium? That fish is an herbivore and would need algae or seaweed to live a long life.

Deinonych
03/16/2015, 08:45 PM
Did the food you fed have algae or seaweed, or did the fish graze algae in the aquarium? That fish is an herbivore and would need algae or seaweed to live a long life.

+1

Sorry for your loss. 8 years is still a long time...I'm sure he was well cared for.

Natalya
03/17/2015, 04:57 AM
Mishry,Deinonych thank you for your words!
Mishry, thank you for the reference! I think It will be very usefull for my Russian hobby-colleagues, too.
Dr Colliebreath, yes, I fed him (and his "girlfriend" Paracantus Hepatus) caulerpa and chaetomorpha every week (1 portion of fresh "hay" for 2 days, from sump). Sometimes it was red algae. And he always ate a small green and red sprouts from rocks in aquarium as he found it.