PDA

View Full Version : Culturing live Nori (Spirulina)?

Electrobes
03/16/2015, 05:19 AM
Does anyone grow their own Nori (Spirulina) for their fish?

I was researching another related topic (Ugh, I still need to do a formal write up and far more research...) but I came across this article by Dr. Toonen: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/1/inverts - I am specifically referring to number 10: Macroalgae, Nori, or Leafy Foods. It is mentioned that "...drying seaweed also has a variety of effects on the structure and nutritional value as a food."

It then occurred to me, does anyone grow/culture Spirulina, or related herbivorous food, for their fish?

So off I went (Off my original tangent, that is) and was surprised to find that non-hobbyists grow their own Spirulina for their own consumption. Here's an instructables (http://www.instructables.com/id/Food-of-the-Future-Window-DIY-Spirulina-Superfood/?ALLSTEPS) that explains how to do that.

So... combining the two somewhat related ideas (Not using dried-out food and growing your own) and resulting in a possibility, the question then has to be asked: "Does anyone grow their own food for their herbivorous fish (Tangs, Rabbitfish, etc...)??

From what I have found, anecdotal-wise, is that some people grow macro-algae in their refugiums to later feed their herbivorous fish.. but aside from that, nothing specific about culturing (More directly) their own food.

Dmorty217
03/16/2015, 06:50 AM
The best way to do this would be with a greenhouse outside that you had a tank or tanks in connected to the overall system in your home. I don't live anywhere I can do this but I know people do have frag tanks and the like outside so it can be done if you live in the right area

Electrobes
03/16/2015, 07:42 AM
Dmorty217 - Are you speaking from experience or have seen another doing this? I can't imagine what you suggest being efficient for any one hobbyist, as opposed to growing it in the recommended situation as indicated in the instructables link I posted...

Dmorty217
03/16/2015, 08:53 AM
O2manyfish (Dave) has a outside frag tank that harnesses the power of the sun. Others have greenhouses they grow corals in much more efficiently and quickly than with a light you can buy. This would all hold true with nori if you were growing it. Why wouldn't you use the sun since it's free? Also the sun offers things man made lights can't ever produce... Effie ent for one may not be efficient for another since we are all working off of different budgets. BTW the window deal is the same concept as I was describing the link didn't show up on my phone when I first clicked on this thread.

Dmorty217
03/16/2015, 08:54 AM
Being that you live in Ft Meyers you would have no problems with a greenhouse or outside tank

Electrobes
03/16/2015, 09:02 AM
Well, when I meant efficiency I meant the other factors relating to using a greenhouse, and that's assuming people have one to use, which most don't I assume. Things like powering fans, coolers, heat could be a bit much, and then there's shading that may need to be done (I know next to nothing about growing seaweed.. I don't know their limits in terms of lighting, etc), etc.

Doing this versus keeping a 20G or smaller, to grow seaweed for a single (Or even a couple) tanks... seems like it'd be more efficient to just do the tank in house. Sure the sun's free but it's so powerful you'd still need other things to tamper down it's power! :lol:

Interestingly, I actually do have a greenhouse, but it isn't fanned or heated.

Dmorty217
03/16/2015, 09:43 AM
I'm with you but I don't want a tank sitting in front of a window in my house, hence why my mind quickly goes to outside solutions