PDA

View Full Version : Sumps:Rubbermaid vs tank

ali1
03/16/2015, 11:59 AM
So I have a 300g with a 75g sump. DT will be on main floor, sump will be in basement.

My thought was to dump the 75g sump and go with a large rubbermaid tub (for the extra water volume). Only problem with that is that they don't have the baffles like most sumps do. My alternative was to throw in a few powerheads in the sump blasting it to make sure everything gets sucked into skimmer or back into DT. Is this a better alternative than to have a seperate-compartment acrylic sump?

Maybe I'll have one compartment for my return to make sure it doesnt pump the entire sump back into my DT during a power-outage? Or should I just drill a hole in the top of the return and call it a day?

Greg 45
03/16/2015, 12:14 PM
I have used a 150 gal tub for years . I you are interested in micro bubbles add filter socks.

Mester320
03/16/2015, 12:29 PM
I am in the process of doing a 400+ gallon fish room build and I will be using a 100G Rubbermaid stock tank. Here is what I am going to use for my skimmer to control the water level. Skimmer will sit in the brute tote and it fits in there snug. Also overflow water will pour in the tote first

Mester320
03/16/2015, 12:29 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/16/225390e712614cc734bb42c081b0bed6.jpg

BigCountry74
03/16/2015, 12:31 PM
both work. personally i prefer glass for more visibility :D

wnehez
03/16/2015, 12:35 PM
I currently have the same setup that your asking about. I have a 220g DT on the first floor and a 100 gallon rubbermaid tub in the basement. I used egg crate to create a wall to stack my live rock up against and have a small section for my return pump. I want to add in another section for a refugium. I can't complain. I like it. Adds a lot of water volume and plenty of space for extra live rock and whatever else you want. I got the tub from Tractor Supply pretty cheap. Im not sure what you would need to drill a hole in the top of, but I also put a special valve on the return line so when the power kicks off, it doesnt allow water back down the return line. When the power kicks on, the overflow's just work again. No issues. I plumbed the overflows to regular pool tubing. It was cheap and works great. I am using a Quiet One Pro 14000 for the increased head height and I gotta say, holy flow! Be sure to add a ball valve on the return line to turn back the flow a little bit. I let mine at full blast but some people like lower flow. But at least you will have the option.

Mester320
03/16/2015, 01:04 PM
Another thing to remember is that you will need to replace the bulkhead. The ones that come with them all leak.