PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Help

jef9891
03/16/2015, 01:06 PM
Working on putting a list together and need help choosing a skimmer. I have been looking at them and reading up on them in reviews or forums. Just don't know what to do. Its a 75g tank that will have about 25 gal sump. Right now I have a list of skimmers. Going to be a Mixed reef, has 7 or 8 fish, close to 50lbs of rock but might be more.

Vertex omega 130
Reef octo classic 150int or 160 or 200
Aquamaxx/JNS co-1
Asm G2
Bubble magnus curve 7

or something else that you recommend. thanks in advance

Stackemdeep
03/16/2015, 02:34 PM
Breaking my cardinal rule and responding to a skimmer thread LOL.

Do yourself a favor and research/compare the pumps that drive the selections you are considering. They will all function if properly adjusted. There is a lot of marketing hype regarding shape,name and look. The pump needs to function well, quietly and for a long time. Seating it in the right depth of water is vital to avoid overflows upon restart and to fine tune the unit. On the list you provided I like the Aquamaxx EM200 over the co1 and the others. Cones,curves and shapes are all marketing and I have bought into the spin before as well. People can't help but want to buy one that looks good. That said, my next one will be a Life Reef. Read the "LifeReef" skimmer club thread and pay attention to the members who participate and look at their tanks. They did not purchase those skimmers because they "Look Pretty". (In fact they are ugly) A six inch skimmer with a good pump, as much straight column as possible and as tall as possible to fit your sump area will do the job well. Here is a question for you, if some skimmers are not that attractive (em200) but they still sell them and they are often out of stock, well, there must be a reason?

myownlife
03/16/2015, 02:36 PM
Agree

Webmanny
03/16/2015, 04:00 PM
I just got my Coralbox D500 this week and I love it. It is way larger than I need for my tank and it does a killer job.

Map69
03/18/2015, 03:16 PM
I agree with the above.Definitely do your research and see what others use and how it performs. Don't learn the hard way like I did.