PDA

View Full Version : stomatopoditis.

EI Gringo
03/16/2015, 04:10 PM
So here's the story.
My lysiosquilla tredicimdentata died before February. he was in a good tank with fine parameters. My filter stopped working killing my 2 skunk cleaners but my zebra was fine and I got the system going again, shortly before this my zebra molted successfully. About 1 and a half months later my tredici starting acting "weird", blindness, loss of limb control, flying around the tank... It was horrible and I was glad to see it finally die, I considered euthanasia but didn't just in case it recovered.

I allowed my tank to cycle for a full month and did another 20% water change which I also did after my zebra started showing signs of illness. I checked every parameter meticulously and all was good (just as it had been all along, I'm obsessive with my water quality).

I introduced an L.Mac. after just a matter of 1-2 hours it displayed the same things... Ensuring both tanks were identical temp and salinity I put my zebra in water from my peacocks tank, it went back to normal in a couple of minutes.

I drained my zebra tank, half filled with my peacocks water and my zebra was more than happy for about a month and then...

I get home to find my L.Mac leaving its burrow, almost dead in appearance. I then found that to my horror it was a reoccurring nightmare. I put my L.Mac back into good water, fine after a few minutes... What is this???????

My tank must somehow have something slowly leeching into the water, but what??? I may well be about solve this mystery for myself.

It must be something OTHER than -
nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, ph, temperature, aeration, iodine, copper, lighting, other organisms... But what?

My thoughts turn to Iron or something even more unlikely, electricity. I have narrowed the cause down to 2 things, my heater or my filter. My filter is a 2+ fluval with a metal prop shaft. It could be slightly corroded leaking iron into the water although it looks clean...

I will remove the heater and filter replacing them appropriately and restart the tank, if the problem then persists, I don't know what to say to others experiencing this other than put it into healthy water, if you have an lfs beg to put it in their sumps.

If you are unlucky enough to go through this then I sympathise. It's an unsolved puzzle and I will do all I can to give you a solution, I may even take a water sample and test it for absolutely everything against healthy water of the same parameters.

Calappidae
03/16/2015, 05:10 PM
Definitely something with your system. Personally, unless you can figure out the cause and it's easily fixable, I would rip down the whole system and start over. Equiptment and all.

If something leeched, it could still be in the silicone.

Just make sure it's not something silly (hand sanitizer, waxing a nearby floor, using air freshener without carbon, etc etc..)

young doz
03/17/2015, 03:56 AM
I hope it gets better mate.

The only thing i could think of is cleaning agents being used in the room that were too strong possibly?

EI Gringo
03/17/2015, 07:23 AM
Nothing silly, as I said, I am meticulous with water quality. I have a cover on the tank and a plastic evaporation tray covering the top, I have also got a rimless tank for my ternatensis in the same room, no problems whatsoever with something being introduced to the water from above. The tank was once a guppy breeding tank but the equipment was totally cleaned out with water and no chemicals. I might just build a new tank for all 6 of my specimens, a long tank divided from left to right to house everything.