PDA

View Full Version : ROX carbon and SPS

kevensquint
03/16/2015, 04:51 PM
Hi, I have heard this carbon is maybe too effective and can cause SPS issues. I have some to try but not sure on a safe amount. How much do you guys use per volume of water say?

DiscusHeckel
03/16/2015, 05:13 PM
I would follow the instructions on the packaging. However, if you are fluidising the media, then I would recommend that you halve the recommended amount, especially if you have not used GAC before. This carbon is really potent.

tdb320reef
03/16/2015, 06:24 PM
I have two systems and run .25 cup in a filter bag in my 320 G and .125 cup in my 150G frag and it keeps the water clear for over a month.

kevensquint
03/16/2015, 07:54 PM
Wow...not very much at all. In a 90 gallon we're talking a few spoon fulls then... @tdb320reef is that your tank in the avatar?

tdb320reef
03/16/2015, 08:38 PM
Wow...not very much at all. In a 90 gallon we're talking a few spoon fulls then... @tdb320reef is that your tank in the avatar?

yes it is my tank before I broke it down in Dec. I am building it back up.

Peter Eichler
03/16/2015, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I stopped running it because of RTN issues immediately following use. If you're going to use it, maybe try 1 tablespoon per 50-100 gallons and adjust from there. I've discovered about a cup of the cheaper BRS stuff every couple months for my 250 gallon system suffices.

ajcanale
03/16/2015, 11:09 PM
I have been using BRS Rox Carbon for years on two different systems without any ill effects that I've noticed at all. 1 tbsp per 10-15 gal in a somewhat undersized reactor and low flow. I change it out every 1.5-2 months. I know it is well expired by then but I only use it for removal of any potential harmful buildups. I also do not do water changed as frequent as many others with SPS sytems, which might play into its effectiveness (or more likely over effectiveness).

DiscusHeckel
03/17/2015, 04:32 AM
Another issue for me with this carbon is that because it is very fine it takes a long time to remove the media (especially sponges) from my reactor. I have switched to Seachem matrix carbon recently.

downbeach
03/17/2015, 04:52 AM
I have used the ROX 0.8 from BRS for many years without any issues. I used one of the BRS reactor's and used 1 1/4 cups of the media(180 gal. net water volume), with extra sponges, running it as a downflow(reversed flow) to eliminate any movement of the media, using a Cobalt MJ400 pump. I would replace the media once a month, rinsing it thoroughly during a WC by placing the exhaust side (normal input side) into a bucket and running the pump until it ran clear(usually about a gallon of water).
It wouldn't hurt anything to bring it on incrementally, using half the recommended amount for your system, and observe.

I ran a mixed reef, but it was predominantly SPS.

tmb22
03/17/2015, 10:46 AM
tdb's recommendations are on point. I've tried to use this carbon multiple times and each time I think I'm using little enough to be all clear. I've never once NOT had RTN. For me, using .25 cups of this in a 110 gallon net water volume is too much.

I'm debating using it again, but if I start, I'll be using .125 cups for 110 gallons of water. Even that might be too much. I'll have to observe and note any negatives effects.

kevensquint
03/17/2015, 03:49 PM
OK...well my friend is using tons of some random brand of activated carbon in his 65 mixed. Like 4 cups per month, stashed all around the sump. I offered to give him my ROX, but in a 65 it sounds like even a 1/4 cup could be risky.

tdb320reef
03/17/2015, 05:44 PM
tdb's recommendations are on point. I've tried to use this carbon multiple times and each time I think I'm using little enough to be all clear. I've never once NOT had RTN. For me, using .25 cups of this in a 110 gallon net water volume is too much.

I'm debating using it again, but if I start, I'll be using .125 cups for 110 gallons of water. Even that might be too much. I'll have to observe and note any negatives effects.

I think you should be fine, Just float near your skimmer output. In the past I followed the BRs Calculation and had RTN. I am not saying the Carbon was the cause, but it removes some kind of trace element that boosts the corals during and alk swing or other unstable events.

I experimented for months and settled on these two amounts and cant believe such a small amount keeps the big volume of water clear for that long. It also keeps the fish tank smell down. I know it needs to be changed when you walk in from work and get the pet shop smell.

What ever amount I think running it passively is the key!

tdb320reef
03/17/2015, 05:47 PM
OK...well my friend is using tons of some random brand of activated carbon in his 65 mixed. Like 4 cups per month, stashed all around the sump. I offered to give him my ROX, but in a 65 it sounds like even a 1/4 cup could be risky.

The goal is clear water. when the water is clear the toxins are removed. If too clear you could remove critical elements. Finding the balance is the key. Id start with an 8th of a cup and go less if you see issues.

DiscusHeckel
03/17/2015, 06:29 PM
What ever amount I think running it passively is the key!

Can you please elaborate on this? Is fluidisation of GAC not a good idea/practice?

Thanks

tdb320reef
03/17/2015, 07:33 PM
Can you please elaborate on this? Is fluidisation of GAC not a good idea/practice?

Thanks

I have done this with less aggressive carbon without issue in the past. But with Rox I recommend passive as it is very aggressive. I put 1/4 cup in a bag and hang it off of my skimmer handle in the path of the output of the skimmer. every once in a while ill squish it to loosen it up. My system is closer to 400 gallons and I have seen the water clear for over 2 months. Imagine what it would remove in a reactor.

Again just my opinion and I am not saying it is wrong and sure many ppl think differently but it has been my experience and since I bought a bucket of it Ill use it then move to a lesser aggressive carbon. It might take 10 years at this rate.:hmm5:

Piper27
03/18/2015, 01:21 PM
Wow, I have been using this for a few years, switched from deep blue. I use a lot. I haven't measured, but maybe 1.5 or 2 cups (I think) on my 250 gallon, heavily stocked. I have never had an issue with it. I feed a lot though. I have even taken a break for a few months to see if it made a difference. No change except for less clear water after a while.

JB NY
03/18/2015, 01:49 PM
I have not had issues with ROX either. I've used 3 cups on my 400 gallon total volume system with no problems at all. I am currently using normal Carbon just because I have a 5 gallon bucket that I am trying to use up.

1/4 cup on a 400 gallons system, man I'll have to try that again when I run out of my current stash, I still have an unopened bag of ROX lying around.

Reef Bass
03/18/2015, 03:14 PM
Been using 1/2 cup on my 100g without issues.

Peter Eichler
03/18/2015, 08:04 PM
Basically, if you're pushing the limits on the low side for nutrients you might have some issues with using this carbon or a lot of any GAC. If you have measurable nitrates and phosphates, you'll probably be fine with more aggressive use.

MHG
03/19/2015, 12:10 PM
I run it all the time. Never head Carbon referred to as "potent" but it does clean the water well.

ReefCowboy
03/19/2015, 07:17 PM
Used 3 tablespoons for an 80 gal and noticed the colors were always pale on the colonies. Switched to Seachem's Matrix and gained color back. I would also pay attention to the ramping of quantity since an abrupt full quantity for a certain tank can shock. That was my experience

chercm
03/20/2015, 02:41 AM
that carbon is very harsh and it is not advisable to be used with Zeovit system

mike810
03/20/2015, 03:31 AM
If your system is uln, suggest you use half the recommended amount ran passively. I followed brs instructions for my 250g tank and had Stn. Now I use .75 cup in a mesh bag.