PDA

View Full Version : using vac for water changes?

tomreefer
03/18/2015, 09:04 AM
A thought came to me about using a wet/dry vac for making water changes easier. Anyone do this?

wnehez
03/18/2015, 09:07 AM
Just curious, how would it make it easier?

soulpatch
03/18/2015, 09:09 AM
I guess if you only used that line for the tank. I wouldn't want to stick that line in my tank for everything else I use it for though...

For my 125 gallon I throw in a cheap MJ1200 with a line on it that pumps it outside. I have the other line in the tank off of the input that i use when needed to suck up certain things.

Otherwise for just reg water changes I put the tub in the one side and at the drain on the other and suck on the end. It will drain 50 gallons in short order...

wnehez
03/18/2015, 09:25 AM
Your still going to have to empty the canister on the wet/dry vac same as you would if you just used a regular siphon hose and a 5 gallon bucket. You can control the siphon hose better. Maybe if your running the wet/dry vac to lets say a 55 gal barrel it will be faster than a siphon, but like stated above, why not just use a submersible pump or powerhead instead? For my 220g, I actually T'd off my return line and just open a ball valve and fill up a 55 gallon barrel then turn on a small utility pump to replace with new water from another 55 gal barrel.

tomreefer
03/18/2015, 09:26 AM
my wet/vac has a drain so I think no need to empty it. I never used it; it's brand new

soulpatch
03/18/2015, 09:31 AM
I guess I dont see the purpose of making the wet/dry be a fish only unit when you probably paid 60+ for it. Instead you could use a small $30 pump with $5 worth of tubing to get the same setup and not worry about contaminants in the vac getting into the tank...

not to mention the drain on the shop vacs do drain but not completly. You will have smell issues unless you also plan to clean the shop vac every time you used it.

stechs02
03/18/2015, 09:40 AM
I use a wet/dry vac on a 5 gallon bucket. Only cost $25 and is the best thing ever if you have a bare bottom tank. I let all my detritus collect in one area and suck it up with the wet/dry vac. It sucks EVERYTHING up and only takes out 5 gallons of water. I do this weekly so I change roughly 20G a month on my 150G reef tank. Makes my life easier.

coralsnaked
03/18/2015, 09:46 AM
Yes I have a couple of shop vacs just for this purpose. One is a mini with a DIY attachment for cleaning in tight places or sucking out unwanteds and a larger one I use for sump cleaning and water changes.

gone fishin
03/18/2015, 09:46 AM
If I am going to do cleaning of the sump, I will drain it down then use the shop vac for the last few gallons and crud.

pbs1914bcc
03/18/2015, 01:44 PM
If I am going to do cleaning of the sump, I will drain it down then use the shop vac for the last few gallons and crud.

+1 I use my wet vac to clean my sump as well.

ca1ore
03/18/2015, 02:24 PM
Bought the bucket-head vac for $25 bucks and use it to vacuum out my water change tank.

Tarawa
03/18/2015, 04:06 PM
I have a shop vac that pumps water out via hose while it sucks (I dont use this for water changes, as it would make my tank bottomless =D) just suggesting =D