PDA

View Full Version : RO bh 2000 please help

Oakes1523
03/18/2015, 01:41 PM
I have a 75 gallon fowlr tank with a low bio load I only have 2 clowns, 1 hermit, couple snails and a couple red legged hermits. I was wondering if I got this skimmer would it be an over kill because I only have 2 clowns in it? I plan to put in many more fish. About 9-11 fish. Should I go with the 1000 instead of would the 2000 be good in the end for my tank? Would the 2000 skim a lot of stuff with a low bio load right now? Until I get more fish in it. Cuz I figured people run skimmer less and if I get the 1000 it would skim like crazy and pull a massive amounts of gunk. Or if I get the 2000 would it skim a lot of stuff with the fish I have it in now until I get more fish? Do you see my problem?:( I don't know which one to get that would be best for me? Please help thank you

Oakes1523
03/18/2015, 11:40 PM
Bump

nmotz
03/19/2015, 05:30 AM
I would get the 2000 because A. too much skimmer isn't possible B. It allows you to increase your bioload further, which is something that almost all aquarists want eventually.

Oakes1523
03/19/2015, 02:19 PM
So skimming pulls out the gunk that's turns into nitrates? If my water is great what else do I have to worry about in my water? Besides temp and salinity? Does no nitrates mean I don't have to do much besides small water changes every once in a while?

Oakes1523
03/20/2015, 11:25 PM
Bump

nmotz
03/20/2015, 11:41 PM
Yes, skimming pulls out dissolved organics that would break down into nitrate if they were left in your tank.

Honestly, the stickies at the top of this forum will give you a lot more information on FOWLR care than I can, but I'll sum up some key points.

FOWLRs are relatively straightforward for many reasons, for example, you don't need to worry about what kind of lighting you have. Currently your bioload is pretty low for a 75G, which is good. Over time, you like most other fish keepers will probably want to add more fish. As you do, the amount of food/fish poo in your tank will increase, and that will increase the amount of nutrients in the tank (such as nitrate).

Your main concern is to ensure that your system is capable of breaking down waste/excess fish food into nitrate and that those nitrates are kept at a reasonably low level (preferably lower than say 20ppm). Phosphates will also build up in the tank over time and that combined with excess nitrates will lead to algae/cyano problems.

Water changes will help export some nitrates and phosphates, but maintaining a low bioload, a protein skimmer, macroalgae, and an adequate (not excessive) CUC will help you keep the tank cleaner in the long run. Vaccuum your sand, and I recommend high flow to keep detritus suspended so that it can be skimmed out. Hope that helps!

Jeremiah_Conway
03/21/2015, 05:36 AM
Very helpfull

Art13
03/21/2015, 08:19 AM
I have the BH 2000 and am very happy with it, i would always go larger, if they made a bigger HOB at the time i would have gone bigger. I have a 90g.

Moray26
03/21/2015, 10:55 PM
I have a 75 gallon tank and running a bh 1000. I have a decent bioload. No issues so far. Definitely though the more the better. Can't hurt. Ultimately either will work! You'll love the skimmer and how easy it is.

Portsie
03/22/2015, 07:48 PM
When I was running my 72g bowfront, I used the 1000, it was great, but I always wished I had bought the 2000 for the couple extra bucks.