PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got rid of Cyano & Hair Algae. Do I need Fish for Nitrogen (for Corals)?

Wally.B
03/18/2015, 11:41 PM
Just wondering if I really need to put fish in my Coral Reef Tank. (After finally succeeding in getting rid of my Cyano and Hair Algae problems).

Been reading that coral need nitrogen to survive and fish is a source.

My story is this. My tank had all kinds of Algae and Cyano problems for years. Mainly to due feeding fish to much, inadequate circulation, and too strong lighting. Idea formula for Algae.

A few months ago, all my fish died due to most likely Velvet, and I decided to redo my 90 GAL tank.

I remove all corals, scrubbed the rocks clean and wrapped my tank into total darkness (for 2 months) with rock back in, to kill off algae. During the period I also ramped up on Vinegar dosing and have been doing that daily. I re-did my sump, and added left over live rocks for filtration. Plan on building an algae scrubber. (YES, I'm paranoid of ever getting Hair or Cyano ever again).

That did the job, and a few weeks ago I re-assembled the tank with new lighting (no more MH, just LED with T5's). Put in a Gyre and a few pumps on Apex for perfect circulation with well space rocks. And no fish, just snails, a hermit and 3 emeralds crabs which are all busy with any "good" algae coming back (no Hair, or Cyano in sight).

Now I've been adding corals back and the tank looks better than ever.
I realize the corals, which are mostly Soft, LPS will need nutrients, so I'm slowly feed them (sparingly).

Here is the current environment supporting the corals:

ALGAE CREW
- 2x Hermit Crab
- 3x Emerald Crabs
- Few Turbo Snails
FOR BIOLOGICAL CONTENT.
0) Dosing Vinegar 5ml daily. (may reduce over time). Watching Nitrates. Currenltly 5ppm, and decreasing.
1) I add Live bred baby brine shrimps (left overs from other tank feeding a Mandarin)
2) Some Tiggers Copepods (left over from other tank feeding)
3) PhytoPheast Phytoplankton for the tiggers and shrimp population which is seeding the tank nicely. (I see pods running around at night)
FOR CORAL FEEDING
4) Started feeding Corals LIGHTLY with (something every other day). Will start spot feeding.
- Seachen Aquavitro FUEL (5ml twice a week) - * Currently **
- Reef Roids a bit every week * Order placed *
- Coral Frenzy a bit every week * Order placed *
CIRCULATION (Apex Controlled)
- 1x Maxpect Gyre (Pulse Wave Mode)
- 1x Hydor Koralia 1150
- 1x Hydor Koralia 1500
LIGHTING
See Below (details)

NEW TANK PARAMETERs:
- ALK (8.4)
- CALC (425)
- MAG (1300)
- NO3 (5)
- PO4 (0.06)
- SAL (1.024)

SO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION.

Is this feeding going to be enough for the long run, to get corals to grow, multiply, survive?

OR do I really need to ADD Fish, as a nitrogen source. Or can I do something different?

I'd like to stay away from Fish for a long time, enough for the coral to spread, and so that I don't have the Hair algae/cyano suffocation I had in the past.

Here is the tank before the re-do and after. Feedback appreciated.

TODAY pic will also give you an idea what kind of corals I have.

BEFORE (DEC 2014)]. Hair Algae and Cyano problems, with Fish
http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah74/wbrejnia/Before_zps2be20249.jpg

TODAY (March 2015)]. New Refreshed tank. No Hair & Cyano Problems. (Improved circulation, new lighting, no Fish)
http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah74/wbrejnia/March%2017%202015-New%20LightT5s_zpsdi1ckvmk.jpg

So with so much going well (for now) with Corals. I don't want to add fish for a while, till I get some good coral coverage. (Maybe no fish ever?).

In case anyone is curious (about the before and after look), the lights used to be 2x 150W MH, with 1 Atnic T5.

New lighting which I totally re-did DIY is as shown below. (I have the ultimate in scenario combination using my Apex.). Corals really like the lighting, since everything transitions slowly from SunRise to Sunset, and moon lit nights.

I did the calculation and the lighting combination I have with this setup is in the millions, if you consider spectrum/intensity setting variables.
(still working on programing the mixes/combos, but for now I have promgrammed about 12 different distinct looks).
Every time I walk into the kitchen the tank looks differently amazing.

NEW LIGHTING
(Apex Controlled: 1x Kessil AW360E, 2 x T5 Dimmable, 1x T5 non-dimmable, 1 x LED Blue 5050 Strip, 1x LED 5050 RGB strip)
(replacing Timer Controlled: 2x150W MH, 1x T5 setup)

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah74/wbrejnia/2015-03-19_1-18-22_zpst72yczqf.jpg

Really hoping I don't need to add fish.

Wally

Azedenkae
03/19/2015, 12:27 AM
No you don't need fish. But just need food to reach corals moreso than algae.

Wally.B
03/19/2015, 12:48 AM
No you don't need fish. But just need food to reach corals moreso than algae.
I do plan on feeding corals more effectively, by turning off circulation and target feeding them with a Syringe.

Are you saying fish are not needed to create Nitrogen? Nitrogen will come from other sources? Or Nitrogen not needed?
I just added some Acans corals and reading about care said they won't thrive without Nitrogen.

Azedenkae
03/19/2015, 01:26 AM
I do plan on feeding corals more effectively, by turning off circulation and target feeding them with a Syringe.

Are you saying fish are not needed to create Nitrogen? Nitrogen will come from other sources? Or Nitrogen not needed?
I just added some Acans corals and reading about care said they won't thrive without Nitrogen.

Fish are not needed because there can be other sources of nitrogen. The food you feed will most likely have nitrogen, for example. Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy and Aquavitro all do.

Wally.B
03/20/2015, 01:12 AM
Fish are not needed because there can be other sources of nitrogen. The food you feed will most likely have nitrogen, for example. Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy and Aquavitro all do.

Perfect.

Thanks.

My worries are over.

I just need to ensure I don't overfeed corals like I did my fish.