PDA

View Full Version : This is what a 10 year old Flame Angel looks like

sfoister
03/19/2015, 12:36 PM
Thought I would share this photo. This guy has been with me for a decade in various tanks and just made the trip over to the new house. We don't plan to move again and so I moved our large-ish reef tank over finally.

My 3 year old daughter has named him... Angel. Super creative I know.

http://i.imgur.com/PFrT3De.jpg

albano
03/19/2015, 12:55 PM
My 3 year old daughter has named him... Angel.

Not 100%... But ... is Angel a girl's name?

sfoister
03/19/2015, 01:34 PM
I don't think my 3 yr old cares whether it's a boy or girl. She calls it a him and named it Angel. She's 3... she can't even wipe her own *** yet. :)

caribfan
03/19/2015, 08:02 PM
My three year old names our true percula "shorty". Kids are hillarious. Nice pic.

jjk_reef00
03/19/2015, 09:38 PM

Nope, there is a guy on Dexter the TV show named Angel, Angel Cabrera the golfer, Angel Hernandez the umpire etc.

albano
03/19/2015, 10:16 PM
I don't think my 3 yr old cares whether it's a boy or girl. She calls it a him and named it Angel. She's 3... she can't even wipe her own *** yet. :)

I wasn't making fun of your daughter...only suggesting that the fish appears to be female...

JoelA7
03/19/2015, 10:39 PM
10 years. Kudos.

Jasanden
03/20/2015, 07:50 AM
10 years well done. How big is a it? Lol
I have a 13 year old Occ. Clownfish. Without a doubt she is the most important/ favorite fish I own. Also the cheapest.

sfoister
03/20/2015, 07:56 AM
I wasn't making fun of your daughter...only suggesting that the fish appears to be female...

I wasn't offended... I've never looked under the skirt and I can't tell male from female. How can you tell?

sfoister
03/20/2015, 08:02 AM
10 years well done. How big is a it? Lol
I have a 13 year old Occ. Clownfish. Without a doubt she is the most important/ favorite fish I own. Also the cheapest.

Not big, 2-3 inches... Incredibly active, eats anything I feed. Has survived some really bad water quality issues including some shockingly high ammonia levels in the past.

The tank was not always under my direct supervision. I set it up when I lived at my folks house and had to leave it when I moved out and started college. I had a smaller 29 gallon cube for a few years and I always wanted to get back to the bigger reefs. Recently purchased a nice big house for my family and decided it was time to get back to the bigger tank. My father suggested I just move/reclaim my old equipment, so it's been back in my possession for about a month. This Flame Angel was the first fish I put in the tank 10 years ago.

pinnatus
03/20/2015, 08:10 AM
10 years is awesome!

Here is my 6 yr old Moorish Idol:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/garrettjrkp/Fish/P9140117_zps97963b55.jpg (http://s120.photobucket.com/user/garrettjrkp/media/Fish/P9140117_zps97963b55.jpg.html)

sfoister
03/20/2015, 08:14 AM
10 years is awesome!

Here is my 6 yr old Moorish Idol:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/garrettjrkp/Fish/P9140117_zps97963b55.jpg (http://s120.photobucket.com/user/garrettjrkp/media/Fish/P9140117_zps97963b55.jpg.html)

He's so angry :)

SDguy
03/20/2015, 08:19 AM
Here's a 9 year old Powder blue :)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7488/15667257887_be8e2244bd_c.jpg

sfoister
03/20/2015, 08:22 AM
It's great to see so many fish living so long. People that care keep their fish alive. :)

Also, that powder is beautiful. Eventually I'll move to a 6 foot tank.

ca1ore
03/20/2015, 02:48 PM
Indeed, healthy and happy power blue is a stunning fish. Every clown fish I've ever had my kids have named ..... aw, heck, I don't even have to say it :lol:

AdamNC
03/20/2015, 06:12 PM

No, I went to middle school with a Puerto Rican guy who was named Angel.

sarens
03/20/2015, 06:17 PM
very cool to see long time tank fish congrads

OrionN
03/21/2015, 10:09 PM
I wasn't offended... I've never looked under the skirt and I can't tell male from female. How can you tell?
I disagree. That angel seem to be a male to me. Here is a quote on one of the post a few months ago that I point out the different between male and female Flame angels

These pictures are pictures I found on the Internet of Flame Angel. Not my fish. I think the color have been enhanced a little but will serve to point out the different between male and female Flame angels. The key is the end of the dorsal and anal fins. They are pointed in sand wound in females. Males also are larger have more blue black bars, and more blue at the end of the fins. Obviously coloration change with where the fish come from and thus not useful, size also not useful because obviously males in right situation can be smaller than female elsewhere.

Female
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=303764&stc=1&d=1421152238

Male
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=303765&stc=1&d=1421152167

My angels
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=303767&stc=1&d=1421152235

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=303766&stc=1&d=1421152182

collegemermaid
03/22/2015, 05:17 AM
Nope, there is a guy on Dexter the TV show named Angel, Angel Cabrera the golfer, Angel Hernandez the umpire etc.

Dexter fan haha good mention.

albano
03/22/2015, 05:36 AM
I disagree. That angel seem to be a male to me. Here is a quote on one of the post a few months ago that I point out the different between male and female Flame angels

As I mentioned, I could not be 100% sure ... but IMO/E, in many larger/older (?) male Flame angels, the anal fin is even more pointed, and often the top edge is shaped 'parallel' to the bottom of the tail fin

aquanooby
03/22/2015, 06:00 AM
that is so cool good job on the longevity i had no idea they could live that long yet im semi new to the hobby my oldest is my clown at 3yr nothing else lived through my learning stupidity.

sfoister
03/23/2015, 07:04 AM
that is so cool good job on the longevity i had no idea they could live that long yet im semi new to the hobby my oldest is my clown at 3yr nothing else lived through my learning stupidity.

Think about how long us humans might live if we had someone painstakingly fussing over our oxygen levels, micro managing our health to the point where we would be removed from our community and treated for illness, monitored for elevated stress levels and then having our environment adjusted if we seemed too anxious or stressed out. Lol

With good husbandry, wisdom, knowledge and common sense these critters will actually live longer in captivity than in the wild.

albano
03/23/2015, 07:58 AM
With good husbandry, wisdom, knowledge and common sense these critters will actually live longer in captivity than in the wild.
Based on what info/research? Any links to it?

OrionN
03/23/2015, 08:12 AM
Think about how long us humans might live if we had someone painstakingly fussing over our oxygen levels, micro managing our health to the point where we would be removed from our community and treated for illness, monitored for elevated stress levels and then having our environment adjusted if we seemed too anxious or stressed out. Lol

The condition in our tank is not better than the wild by a long shot, even with the most melticulus tank mangament. Lack of predation is the only that is an advantage in our tank vs the wild.
They may live longer in our tank, but not because of being healthier, just not have a short live because they were not gobble up by a biger fish.

sfoister
03/23/2015, 01:17 PM
Based on what info/research? Any links to it?

Are you asking so that you can debate about it? Because I feel like you are.

albano
03/23/2015, 01:46 PM
Are you asking so that you can debate about it? Because I feel like you are.
If the longevity of reef fish in the wild is just your opinion, there is nothing to debate...if there was actual research done, I'd like to read about it.

sfoister
03/23/2015, 07:59 PM
If the longevity of reef fish in the wild is just your opinion, there is nothing to debate...if there was actual research done, I'd like to read about it.

Throughout the years I have regularly kept fish longer than their stated life expectancy. I had a 10 year old mandarin until about a month ago... He refused to eat during the move, I could not get him to take anything. Was a really sad day when we lost him. :(

spznm
03/23/2015, 08:09 PM
Wow. I wish my fish would live that long. I love fish more than coral.

CoralsAddiction
03/23/2015, 10:15 PM
Happy it has made it this long [emoji3]

Grkgod36
03/23/2015, 11:49 PM
Wow never knew that they lived that long kudos to you sir.

rholguin
03/24/2015, 01:56 AM
Wow!! That's wonderful. You have obviously been doing something right for "Angel"
Way to go!

Jasanden
03/24/2015, 04:42 AM
The condition in our tank is not better than the wild by a long shot, even with the most melticulus tank mangament. Lack of predation is the only that is an advantage in our tank vs the wild.
They may live longer in our tank, but not because of being healthier, just not have a short live because they were not gobble up by a biger fish.

Wouldn't you think being fed every day enough food to fill your belly with all kinds of vitamins and additives without having to hunt it down is an advantage.

OrionN
03/24/2015, 05:29 AM
Wouldn't you think being fed every day enough food to fill your belly with all kinds of vitamins and additives without having to hunt it down is an advantage.
I never seen, in person or in picture, or caught a thin fish in the wild. I don't think food is not but been food is a problem.
Many fish lost color in captivity. Royal Gramma and some of the harder to keep angels are example. I try to feed a wide variety of food to my tank. I am quite happy to find that my Royral Gramma have the same vibrant color as the newly caught RG. How many times have you seen pale, washout RG in aquarium? IME, only a small fraction of RG I seen in aquarium have the vibrant color of a newly caught wild RG.

pinnatus
03/24/2015, 06:17 AM
Minh - wanted to thank you - I have a 6-gramma harem at the moment, and they are all doing well. Thanks for your advice about sexing them and how to keep them together. I tried once before but they whittled down to 2. This time they seem to be staying at 6. I got them very small and as a group, did not let the LFS split them up when they arrived. I think that was the secret.

OrionN
03/24/2015, 10:13 AM
Great. I have 6 RA harem myself. They are a vastly under appreciated fish. Great for community tank.

OP, sorry for side track this thread