PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my new clown :/

Jgisler
03/19/2015, 02:34 PM
Hello all,

I have introduced my first fish (A true perc) into my 55g about a week and a half ago. The tank had completed its cycle prior to this and my water parameters seem fine.

The issue is with this clowns swimming. She does not seem to be struggling to swim however she stays in the back of the aquarium at the very surface and almost swims slanted to position herself between the glass and the surface of the water. When I feed she tends to swim normal while she chases down the food, however, she will not venture very far.

She was in a cramped tank at the LFS with a pretty big/aggressive lunar wrasse. I think the wrasse may have nibbled at her side as she has a little white mark. No ich though. I have also freshwater dipped. When I put her back in the DT, post dip, she will swim normal around the rocks at the bottom and then straight back to hiding at the surface.

Is this normal? If I add a smaller clown will this giver her a little confidence? or will they both just swim at the top?

Note- She doesn't appear to be hosting anything so its not that. No powerheads/etc.

Thank you all!

gotasplinter
03/19/2015, 05:49 PM
I think it will come out of it, we have some baby clowns that were in a very small tank and we put them in our 40 breeder they stayed in one corner but eventually ventured out

Jgisler
03/20/2015, 02:08 AM
I think it will come out of it, we have some baby clowns that were in a very small tank and we put them in our 40 breeder they stayed in one corner but eventually ventured out

I hope so! She almost swims sideways aligning her side with the surface of the water. It's so strange.

Jade5051
03/20/2015, 02:47 AM
I've seen clowns do this before. Get them a friend and an anemone. They will come out of it.

hotelbravo
03/20/2015, 02:49 AM
This sounds like normal behavior to me. Mine did this for months until I added another clown. It claimed the top corner of the tank right next to the surface of the water and right next to a power head. The new clown should help. Make sure its much smaller though

gotasplinter
03/27/2015, 05:35 AM
How about an update. :)