PDA

View Full Version : HA is winning

JimL77
03/20/2015, 01:17 PM
I have been fighting hair algae for several months. Have tried many water changes, manual removal. Hydrogen peroxide treatments. Constant GFO, Magnesium, light changes, less lighting. Lowered feeding. It is getting the best of me. I am going out of town for an extended period of time soon and worry my wife will not be able to keep up the regimens.

I have a feeling I will need to tear the tank down when I get back.

I have been ini reefing for a very long time, and was always successful until now. The 15+ year old tank was torn down 2 years ago when the tank was replaced, all rocks and gravel were scrubbed. It was very clean then. I have a closed loop with huge amounts of flow, a good skimmer and a huge with cheato.

Any suggestions of something to do before I leave? I do not want to give up the hobby, but this is kicking my butt.

ryeguyy84
03/20/2015, 01:33 PM
have you tried just lights out for 3 days, with no feeding?

Phosphates might show 0 but have you tested them lately?

Chooch1
03/20/2015, 02:21 PM
You have to do multiple water changes with perfect RO-DI water. Shorter lighting period, smaller feedings, no additives, clean carbon, and change GFO weekly. The water changes should be at least 50% every other day, maybe as much as 75%. Make sure the salinity, temperature and alkalinity in the makeup water is in the correct range. Remove as much HA as you can manually and blast the rock with a power head and use a filter sock to catch the detritus and debris. A total pain and time consuming but you will eventually break the HA's back. You will know you're winning when the HA starts to change color and not look as "healthy" or robust for lack of a better description. Good luck.

75pxatr
03/21/2015, 07:03 AM
Hair algae is a battle most face at some point. Is your cheato growing? If it is not the hair algae is out competing it for nutrients. I have had no luck other than manual remove what you can and lights out for 3 days then reduce lighting after the blackout.

I have an 8 bulb t5 and use only 2 blue plus when I bring the lights back on. You will know when it is working when the HA begins to fade in color.

You did not mention what your nitrates are.

dkeller_nc
03/21/2015, 07:29 AM
Some additional info might let us help you:

What size tank?
What type of lighting (if MH/T5HO, lamp color and when last changed) and photoperiod
Bio-load - list the fish and size that you have, and whether this is a LPS/mixed/SPS tank
Salt mix and water change schedule
Tank temp
Tank equipment - skimmer brand/size, any other flow source besides closed loop?
Complete water chemistry parameters - NO3, PO4, Ca, Alk, Mg and how the Ca/Alk/Mg is maintained (i.e., calcium reactor, 2-part (and with what, if commercial product) and/or water changes)
Carbon dosing? And if so, how (biopellets, vodka, vinegar, etc...)
What sort of GFO, and how much/how often changed
Kalkwasser?
Tank pics would also be helpful - "GHA" could be many different species, and control measures could differ depending on ID.

Don't be discouraged - any algae issue can be beaten. Sometimes easily, sometimes not. But if you're determined, you will win in the end. Also, if your wife isn't skilled in tank maintenance, you might consider making some local reefing friends (your wife will appreciate having a local source of expertise).

addictedreefer
03/21/2015, 10:36 AM
Have you tested your RO water with a a TDS meter lately?

screamingibis
03/21/2015, 12:34 PM
Algaefix marine, 10 percent water change every three days right before next dose. Make sure water coming in is zero tds. Change GFO once a week for about a month or sooner if it's not tumbling easily. Skim wet. Feed fish only what they eat in about two minutes, even if you do this twice a day. Just make sure it's all consumed quickly.

This regimen worked for me. Never had to cut back on lights, but that would have been the next step. You're looking at months of this regimen, but it should eventually work. Hang in there. Also, what are your lights? Old bulbs can wreak havoc.

screamingibis
03/21/2015, 12:36 PM
^^ I've read that Algaefix is not good with clams and inverts, so read up on it. There's a large thread on the stuff.

tkeracer619
03/21/2015, 01:28 PM
Water changes do little to combat phosphates. If you are battling a phosphate issue water changes aren't really the answer.

Need pictures. What you are feeding and how much?

Stock list

What type of testing hardware do you have?

wildman926
03/21/2015, 03:21 PM
Algaefix marine, 10 percent water change every three days right before next dose. Make sure water coming in is zero tds. Change GFO once a week for about a month or sooner if it's not tumbling easily. Skim wet. Feed fish only what they eat in about two minutes, even if you do this twice a day. Just make sure it's all consumed quickly.

This regimen worked for me. Never had to cut back on lights, but that would have been the next step. You're looking at months of this regimen, but it should eventually work. Hang in there. Also, what are your lights? Old bulbs can wreak havoc.

The API Algaefix Marine also worked for me, as well as this regimen. But, for me it was not months of this regimen. Once the hair algae was gone using the Algaefix, I then deployed a algae turf scrubber, and have not seen hair algae since. It will be a year May since I wiped it out. I went back to my normal routine. Feed more, clean the ats more often.

Eric45
03/22/2015, 03:19 PM
3 Things Guaranteed to Work:

GFO changed every week
cut feeding in half
cut back all gha you can reach
wait 3 months

(ok 4 things)

banthonyb71
03/22/2015, 03:41 PM
Water changes do little to combat phosphates. If you are battling a phosphate issue water changes aren't really the answer.

+1

The water changes should be at least 50% every other day, maybe as much as 75%..

In my opinion, this is way to much water to change in that short of period of time. and I have found that if, im ever to a point where I have to come even close to having to replace this amount of water, that the problem is more than likely the water I'm bringing in, not what I'm pulling out.

You mentioned, you changed rocks recently...how long have you had this HA issue?

jeffp1
03/22/2015, 03:42 PM
Had the same problem recently. Vodka dosing, Phosgard in reactor and manual removal got mine. Good Luck

Rob6311
03/22/2015, 03:50 PM
HA always wins!![emoji51] lol I'm dealing with it too