PDA

View Full Version : not closing cavity

cheflavor
03/22/2015, 02:58 PM
Hey yall i got my Neogonodactylus Wennerae last week and it seems to be doing well. It went in the rock i had drilled out for him when i started my tank and has been sleeping there and bring back food. the only problem i find is unlike my old smithii this mantis does not seem to be doing much maintenance on his new home and never closes up his cave at night, should i be worried?

Calappidae
03/22/2015, 03:29 PM
Nah he should be fine. Mine closes up at night, just be sure to provide him material to use for closing for when he decides to do so.

cheflavor
03/22/2015, 03:48 PM
there is a bunch of rubble and shells on the floor around the tank do you think that would be sufficient?

Calappidae
03/22/2015, 04:35 PM
Depends on what it can lift. Usually N. wennerae can just use the chips from mining out a cavity for it's door. Or even sand.

EI Gringo
03/23/2015, 04:58 AM
Would love a wennerae, extraordinary colours. Are they reclusive though?

Gonodactylus
03/23/2015, 08:35 AM
There are lots of things that influence whether a neogonodactylid will close its interence. Probably most importand is that the animal be on a regular photoperiod. If the aquarium is in a room where the lights are turned on and off in the evening, even if there are aquarium lights on a timer, the activity cycle may be disrupted. In my main laboratory the lights go on and off from 6 am to well into the evening. Most animals don't close (although some like my small L. sulcata closes like clockwork at around 10 am. In my saltwater aquarium room and cold room there are no windows and the room lights are on timers. Most animals close.

Obviously, closing will also depend on the species, reproductive and molt cycle. and shape of the cavity entrance.

Roy