PDA

View Full Version : overflow drain is too loud?

Jjv123
03/22/2015, 07:17 PM
hello, I am new to this overflow sump system. I never have kept one before. I got myself a Gl*******s 700 gph overflow and return kit. I installed everything per the instructions and they even told me it will be loud for a few days. My question is what has everyone done with the drain pipe that goes into the first stage of the sump. I have pipe run to about three inches above the water level in the first stage. I was not planning on using filter socks or floss. I have been told to stay away for maintenance reasons. So basically the drain pours right into the first stage from three inches above water line. Will the noise go down or should I considered adding three inches of pipe to submerse the drain in the first stage??? This is only day one. I just mixed salt and made sure my waterline accommodates drain down in case of power failures... Your input is greatly appreciated.

jpa0741
03/22/2015, 07:22 PM
Yes I would submerge your line from your overflow to the sump. It will help if that noise bothers you. I have mine running to the basement so I dont worry about that. I just try to make it quite on main display

Jjv123
03/22/2015, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the input I'll give it a try

ryguylears
03/22/2015, 07:42 PM
I have the same box and have a loud overflow. I was told that not to reduce my drain line size, and that was causing the issue. Are you running 1.5" down to your sump?

Jjv123
03/22/2015, 08:21 PM
I am running 1.5. That's what the instructions recommend. My issue is noise from splashing water in the sump

ryguylears
03/22/2015, 08:57 PM
I had the same issue and have tried a reverse durso and ended up putting part of a pre-filter for a mag pump in each side to slow the flow. It quieted it significantly but my sump is 10' below and the water still bubbles and splashes pretty bad. These either work great or horrible I have heard. Mine is livable and I feel like I have tried everything.

adova
03/22/2015, 09:19 PM
Try to stay about 1 inch under the water...

cidbozek
03/22/2015, 09:31 PM
Run the drain about an inch below the water surface. adjust the black air tube up and down til you find the sweet spot. i run the same box with about 350 gph throught it and its dead silent. did you cut the bulkhead down some per the directions ? or maybe mine had to do that cause i bought the slim version.
what flow are you run through it? did you also rinse it well with warm water and viniger before installing it?
couple things to try , bet the pipe entering below the water line will help, then tweet the air tube, bam its quiet!!!!! i hope. lets us know what fixed

Jjv123
03/23/2015, 05:05 AM
I did cut down the bulkhead per instructions and my noise is clearly stemming from splash down in the sump. I'll submerse the drain an inch.

Aquageek450
03/23/2015, 06:55 AM
mine is loud as well. The issue is that no matter if the pipe is below the water line or not, the water still falls into the first chamber of the sump sounding like a faucet. The air tube makes no difference in the sound of my overflow. I think the only way to actually make is silent is to use flexible PVC so you elimiante the bends and the "falling" of the water.

ryguylears
03/23/2015, 07:21 AM
mine is loud as well. The issue is that no matter if the pipe is below the water line or not, the water still falls into the first chamber of the sump sounding like a faucet. The air tube makes no difference in the sound of my overflow. I think the only way to actually make is silent is to use flexible PVC so you elimiante the bends and the "falling" of the water.
Have you tried the flexible pvc? Did I it help?