PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins - Vitachem/Zoe/Selcon - recommendations

Coffeeinbed
03/24/2015, 05:18 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering what brand is the most popular. I notice some of these vitamin brands reccommend adding it to both the food and dosing the aquarium water.

(I wonder how much of the formulations are educated guessing followed by observation.)

SDguy
03/24/2015, 05:27 PM
Eh, it's like you taking a daily vitamin. Can you prove it's helping? I can't :)

I use both vita-chem and selcon here and there, mostly when I feed pellets that I want hydrated before feeding.

Coffeeinbed
03/24/2015, 05:36 PM
Eh, it's like you taking a daily vitamin. Can you prove it's helping? I can't

Good point.

I guess vitamins are perishable like fresh fruit. It does make some sense to add them to an artificial or "sterile" aquairium.

Dmorty217
03/24/2015, 06:16 PM
I use vitachem and selcon along with a variety of other stuff in the home made food I make

Coffeeinbed
03/24/2015, 06:30 PM
I use vitachem and selcon along with a variety of other stuff in the home made food I make

Thanks dmorty....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder what the decay rates are for these vitamins.

What is the decay rate in caustic salt water?

What is the decay rate of vitamins in the opened bottle?

SDguy
03/24/2015, 06:32 PM
I use both vita-chem and selcon here and there, mostly when I feed pellets that I want hydrated before feeding.

I guess vitamins are perishable like fresh fruit. It does make some sense to add them to an artificial or "sterile" aquairium.

Which is why I do, but only to the food.

Dmorty217
03/24/2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks dmorty....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder what the decay rates are for these vitamins.

What is the decay rate in caustic salt water?

What is the decay rate of vitamins in the opened bottle?

No problem. Can't tell you if it does any good but it makes me feel better about things. Logically I guess it does make sense but I know a few others that have much more expensive fish than I do that don't use many if any at all and their fish are healthy as a horse

RxMike
03/24/2015, 07:48 PM
On another note, I have been only been feeding pellets to my fish. Hardly ever give any mysis or clams. I also rarely,feed nori. Using a feeder the tank is fed four times a day. No vitamins at all. Guess I am very lucky but the fish are all super fat and healthy.

Some of the fish I keep

Gem tang
Interuptus angel
Emp
True personifier
etc

I do try to mix up the type of pellets i feed every time I refill the auto feeder. Works great for me. I found that vitamins are probably not needed if your fish are getting a healthy diet. Using reputable brand pellets I have no issues.

Coffeeinbed
03/24/2015, 08:44 PM
No vitamins at all. Guess I am very lucky

i feed NLS "Float" - which I love since it all gets eaten - and - Omega One micro pellets. Fish love it.

NLS sold me forever on it's merit. Fish colors pop since I started using it.

I just thougth I should use vitamins- guilted into using it.

---------------------------------------

I see the dizzying array of Reef/Marine/Coral , supplements/vitamins/cures/potions for everything and anything - many almost impossible to measure for most hobbiests like myself - product claims can't be proven or disproven.

I may go with the masses just the same and "try" Vitachem.

RxMike
03/25/2015, 02:39 PM
one think about our hobby a lot is done on instinct rather than scientific data.