PDA

View Full Version : LPS NPS Coral

Minkota
03/25/2015, 06:40 AM
This weekend at a Frag Swap I picked up a Dendrophyllia Coral with a winning Raffle Ticket. Other than keeping it in a "Shaded" area and spot feeding about twice a week, is there anything else I might need to watch out for?

laga77
03/25/2015, 07:03 AM
It does not have to be in a shaded area. Feed it at least 5 times a week. Live black worms is the best I have found so far, but do vary the diet. Throw some mysis and plankton in there as well.

Lmax8rn
03/25/2015, 07:05 AM
Mine likes mysis and R.O.E.

Minkota
03/25/2015, 07:42 AM
Ok, everything I had read said limited light and low to medium flow. I also read that feeding more than twice a week can kill it.

Attached is a pic, is this in fact a Dendro?

laga77
03/25/2015, 01:42 PM
Looks like a Dendro. NPS corals will grow where other corals cannot, like in the dark. Thus, some people said they need shade or darkness. I have seen many post where people who scuba said they ave seen sun corals growing on top of the reef in the brightest sunshine. Here are some of my NPS in full light. You can see my Dendro in the center of the first photo. Six months ago it was a single head with the start of a small polyp on the side. In the second is one of my Black Sun Corals. He has gained 50% in the last 7-8 months. All are in full light.

noy
03/25/2015, 06:35 PM
its a Eguchipsammia fistula - used to be classified as a dendrophyllia fistula but that was eventually unaccepted.

yes, for all intents and purposes its a dendro - i.e. will stay opened most of the day without must prompting. You can feed it everyday - just don't overdo it at any one sitting because if the food it consumes becomes rotten before it is in fact consumed - the coral will get bacteria and decay.

Minkota
03/26/2015, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the help, I moved it out into the light and it does seem happier. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info....