PDA

View Full Version : Marineland RR Durso flow and noise

Drummond
03/26/2015, 08:13 PM
I have a new Reef Ready Mainland 60g cube and am trying to figure out the needed flow from the return. Mainland says that it should be 750 gph, no more no less. From what I've read that seems really high and I would expect it to be noisy. Does anybody have experience with the stock Mainland durso? Thanks!

cleverbs
03/26/2015, 08:35 PM
Following

Crusinjimbo
03/27/2015, 03:55 AM
Ditch the Durso and convert it to a Herbie drain. Use the 3/4" as the drain and the 1" as the emergency drain. The Durso drain will be noisey while a tuned Herbie (gate valve in main drain) is silent and virtually trouble free with minimal monitoring. I put a 90 degree elbow on each drain in the overflow (very tight fit but doable) with the main turned down and the emergency turned up (open ends).

cakemanPA
03/27/2015, 06:07 AM
My stock durso from Marineland and others were always somewhat noisy. If you don't want to convert to a herbie or bean animal setup, do 2 things. 1 a reverse durso in your sump and 2 look at Hoffer Gurgle Buster (similar search on google). These 2 changes made the tanks much much better.

Camel413
03/27/2015, 06:43 AM
What do you mean by a reverse durso in the sump?

cakemanPA
03/27/2015, 07:03 AM
All sorts of images and videos. Reverse durso in sump is what I Googled when I built mine

elescher
03/27/2015, 07:13 AM
I just got a new RR Marineland tank and I am using as designed. It's as quiet as can be with the water going into filter socks.

Drummond
03/27/2015, 08:27 AM
I just got a new RR Marineland tank and I am using as designed. It's as quiet as can be with the water going into filter socks.

Whats your gph from your return?

zooman72
03/27/2015, 10:30 AM
Durso's often become noisy with too much water being forced through them - less flow will usually equal less noise.

My Deep Blue 45W with stock Durso is very quiet, but I am only using a Sicce 1.5 as my return (357 gph, less with head height/ pressure)...

JoeTSI
03/27/2015, 01:13 PM
Funny you mentioned this, I am having the same issue with my 90 ML, got the gurgling to stop but the waterfall sound due to the drain sitting too low in overflow is maddening. I don't know why they didn't design the drain to be height adjustable. I just ordered the AGA megaflow overflow which IS adjustable and should be here tomorrow. Hopefully this helps.

cakemanPA
03/27/2015, 04:31 PM
Funny you mentioned this, I am having the same issue with my 90 ML, got the gurgling to stop but the waterfall sound due to the drain sitting too low in overflow is maddening. I don't know why they didn't design the drain to be height adjustable. I just ordered the AGA megaflow overflow which IS adjustable and should be here tomorrow. Hopefully this helps.
And that is where a Hoffer Gurgle Buster (and waterfall buster) can help dramatically.

Kies1
03/27/2015, 07:20 PM
Slower flow these RR overflows cannot handle high flow rates. I have put a waveline dc pump and adjusted flow and mine is dead quiet now