PDA

View Full Version : new idea for water storage

john08007
03/27/2015, 11:42 AM
I have been constantly trying to find an alternative to using trashcans to store water for water changes.

The poly water tanks cost too much in my opinion, while walking down the aisle at walmart I noticed a large cooler on the shelf.

amazon has a 120qt igloo cooler for $55.00, I would think I could drill a hole in it to install 2 normal bulkheads to attach it to a pump. Out of the pump I could have a T with one going to a valve then back into the cooler to mix the salt. On the other side of the T I can put another valve to an expanding hose to fill my tank.

When I am mixing I will have the valve to the hose closed and the water will recirculate mixing the water. When I am ready to fill my tank the expanding hoses have a valve on the end that I can close, open the valve to the hose and partially close the valve leading back into the cooler. This will fill the hose with water, once full it will then go through the partially closed valve back into the cooler. Kind of how an unloader works on a pressure washer.

billdogg
03/27/2015, 01:46 PM
Craigslist 55g food safe barrel $10. Bulkheads in a cooler may be problematic due to the space between the inner and outer layers of plastic. Although it's probably styrofoam, it may compress as you attach the bulkhead making a good seal a problem.

dymaxiun
03/27/2015, 02:45 PM
Craigslist

This... Craigslist has a plethora of these for cheap!

mcgyvr
03/27/2015, 03:08 PM
A 32 gallon brute is only $30..

Dmorty217
03/27/2015, 03:13 PM
Find a industrial drum company near you and see if they have any containers that use to contain food of some sort in them... I bought two 330g containers that use to have honey in them and paid 30$ each for them. Can't beat it for the price and gallons

fishuntbike
03/27/2015, 03:20 PM
Not sure how can the igloo is cheaper than the brute can?????????

brittonv
03/27/2015, 03:37 PM
I went to a local water softener company. They had tons of stuff available including Food safe 55 Gallon Drums. I Picked up these 2 poly water containers for $10 each!

My Containers (https://content-na.drive.amazonaws.com/cdproxy/templink/mX-zimfdckne5hX-kD07e0mOVLQzIreMSxNE8zYFzxEE0Xnc3?viewBox=1920)

55 Gallon drums near you for $16 (https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/for/4861248146.html)

Food grade Pickle barrels for $25 near you (http://columbia.craigslist.org/grd/4950447490.html)

skeeter_ca
03/27/2015, 07:35 PM
I got two 55 gallon food safe drums from a local feed store for $20 each.

john08007
03/27/2015, 08:51 PM
as far as the bulkhead I was thinking to drill a larger hole on the outside allowing the bulkhead to only clamp on the inside surface. I use trashcans now and I just hate to have them sitting on the floor of my garage, with a cooler or something square I could put them on a shelf and they will be out of the way. I looked at my local tractor supply, they had a flat bottom 35gallonish container but it was around $150.00. I can get those monster 330 gal containers locally but I only have a 75gal so that would be overkill, not to mention they would take up a parking spot in my garage. I just think the price is pretty good at $55, I can stack the makeup water under the salt mix one because I have no need to ever get into it. I would think it would take up less room than having some 55 gal drums.

john08007
03/27/2015, 08:53 PM
actually the round one that brittonv has on the left is the one that my local tractor supply wanted around 150 for, they would work because that's about all I need for a water change and I could build a rack to hold one above the other

skeeter_ca
03/28/2015, 11:39 AM
The used 55gal barrels shown on Craig's list is the best bang for your buck you can get. You can stack one on top of the other on a rack to lessen foot print space. Clean them with some bleach and vinegar and you just saved 125 bucks per barrel.

billdogg
03/28/2015, 03:45 PM
The used 55gal barrels shown on Craig's list is the best bang for your buck you can get. You can stack one on top of the other on a rack to lessen foot print space. Clean them with some bleach and vinegar and you just saved 125 bucks per barrel.

I'm finally going to add another 55g after nearly 30 years using just one - it'll be real nice to always have on hand water ready to go "justincase". I can't say that I've ever been sorry to have too much on hand.