PDA

View Full Version : eBay LED light for SPS/LPS quarantine?

cambo123
03/27/2015, 03:22 PM
I will be moving in about 3 months and want to make some changes to my tank in the process. My current objective is to get rid of all the pests/algae through quarantine of many of my corals. I will be cycling dry rock for the restart on the side starting next month. I want to nip this AEFW in the butt and get it wiped out. Thoughts on using any of those cheap eBay LED's for < $100 to run a quarantine tank for acros before I move? Just looking to keep these guys alive when I do the treatment.

Thanks

AdamNC
03/28/2015, 10:01 AM
I don't see why they wouldn't work short term. The only issue I see is acclimating them to the ebay led and then back to your display lights.

cambo123
03/28/2015, 10:44 AM
Yes, that is my concern. I am trying to source out a small 150 mh pendant as my display is a 250w radium. But if I can't find anything I may purchase an LED unit a run on a low power setting.

Dartolution
03/29/2015, 12:15 AM
Careful, don't knock those cheap Ebay LEDs...
They actually work quite well.
I run a 300W Mars aqua unit with two ATI T5s.
Great colors, very good growth (would be best if I can get my ALK stable).

They are very powerful, so make sure you suspend them high enough (8-12") and don't start full blast. I took my blues from 25%-100% and my white from 5%-70% over the course of about 2 months ( probably overkill). I had to recently dial the whites down a little more because I was bleaching any genus of "brain" coral I put in the tank.

cambo123
03/29/2015, 08:42 AM
Yeah, thinking those might be the way to go for my purposes. Thanks!

SpSChief85
03/30/2015, 01:26 PM
I'm using three mr120 led on my 125 sps dominant tank with great results on thing to remember I've had my lights for awhile and I recently dialed them back down get them start whites at around 30 to 32 percent and blues around 60 and that should work fine although I have 2 regular hydra and a ai hydra 52 on the way Wednesday once I get them hung as I freaking can't wait I can only imagine the growth as I've had substantial grow with the mr120 but these things crank out major par way more than your halides so be careful start really low if you have any questions pm me I've used these lights for over a year and half with great results other than my bleaching experience at the start... I really under estimated them as I think others do as well I've seen 1000 par at the bottom of a 24 inch tank at full blast

SpSChief85
03/30/2015, 01:28 PM
As the hanging advice I would say 12 awl for best spread the easily light a 2x2 ft area