PDA

View Full Version : QT snails from ReefCleaners?

mpderksen
03/28/2015, 02:03 PM
I've never done a QT on my CUC refresh that I get about quarterly from ReefCleaners. Now that I'm being a better reefer and actually DOING QT, I wonder if I should do this. Fish and corals I understand, because I can observe behavior and physical symptoms, but what about snails? I assume they would die in 6 weeks without feeding....
How long and what do I watch for?

ridetheducati
03/28/2015, 06:39 PM
Quarantine CUC for 72 days. My QT always has film and hair algae growing for snails to graze. Nothing much to watch. Drop them in and come back 72 days later.

apolloreef
03/28/2015, 07:16 PM
Quarantine CUC for 72 days. My QT always has film and hair algae growing for snails to graze. Nothing much to watch. Drop them in and come back 72 days later.

What are you quarantining/looking for?

mpderksen
03/28/2015, 07:28 PM
"72 days" sounds like eliminating potential Ich carryover. In that case, I'll wait until the current QT cycle is done with the fish I have in there and put the snails in with the new corals I plan to get. No reason I can't feed just a little during that time period too. My QT never sees copper.
Thanks for the advice. I'll follow it :).

gone fishin
03/28/2015, 07:31 PM
Yes it is for potential ich cysts. Sprinkle in a bit of food they pretty much eat whatever they find. Good luck