PDA

View Full Version : Starting up a 5g thoughts?

toddmau5
03/28/2015, 05:21 PM
not new to reefing, but I have only ever ran bigger tanks. I have heard these small tanks are much more of a challenge. The smallest I have ran is a 29g biocube and it its virtually set it and forget it. I know my stocking is limited in a 5g :( but I'm gonna see how far I can take it without issues. Currently it is cycling. It has a solar flare LED. I have a heater in the back but havent turned it on yet, temp has been holding very steady between 75.4-76.2 ususally sits right at 75.9. For filtration I was first going to run purigen and chemipure elite, but not am considering running chemipure blue. I am debating running the fluval ceramic bio rings or whatever they are called, I have a couple brand new boxes out in the garage, just wondering if they would actually help or not or it will just cause more trouble. Let me know what your inputs are

TriggersAmuck
03/28/2015, 06:00 PM
Greetings from a fellow Lutz-ite! I'm following along as I'm considering setting up a nano as well, albeit with a minimalist approach. Have you read the Advanced Aquarist article on the 5 gallon EcoReef One? Part of the appeal for me is getting away from the cost and equipment-centric approach of the bigger tanks. But that comes with a compromise of course. :)

What filter are you using on the nano? I'm looking at using the Tunze Comline Filter 3162, since it has a surface skimming input (which will accommodate my decision to to not use an overflow of any sort).

Looked at your 265g pics and it looks awesome!

toddmau5
03/28/2015, 06:44 PM
Greetings from a fellow Lutz-ite! I'm following along as I'm considering setting up a nano as well, albeit with a minimalist approach. Have you read the Advanced Aquarist article on the 5 gallon EcoReef One? Part of the appeal for me is getting away from the cost and equipment-centric approach of the bigger tanks. But that comes with a compromise of course. :)

What filter are you using on the nano? I'm looking at using the Tunze Comline Filter 3162, since it has a surface skimming input (which will accommodate my decision to to not use an overflow of any sort).

Looked at your 265g pics and it looks awesome!

Nice to meet you. Can't say I recall seeing you on the local section. It's always great to meet someone close by. I have not read that article but I will look for it. The tank I have cycling is a 5g MarineLand portrait tank I believe they call it. It was few so I decided to use it did my desk at work. It does have any overflow, so my approach was going to be that of my biocube which is equipment free aside from return pump heater and light. That tank has been doing great and only gets top offs and a water change every couple of months. I know shame on me. But everything on there is doing great. I doubt any sps would ever make it but that wasn't the point of that tank. I digress. The biocube has been surviving solely on purigen and chemipure elite. So that was going to be my approach. Right now my debate is weather or not to use the bio rings for added bio filtration or not.

toddmau5
03/28/2015, 07:00 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7283/16772967228_ebcd95d530_k.jpg