PDA

View Full Version : Planning snorkel trip to Great Barrier Reef

ladyshark
03/28/2015, 06:56 PM
Hello all,

I am flying to Australia late May to snorkel the GBR, very excited. Wondered if anyone who has been there could give me your thoughts of the best reefs to snorkel--looking for insider viewpoints.

It seems clear the outer reefs are best, and I understand Lizard Island is great, but wanted to hear from this forum for favorite spots.

Thanks and any helpful hints on companies to use, etc would be very helpful, as I have never been to this part of the world.

:bounce1:

ace_92101
03/29/2015, 02:32 PM
I haven't snorkeled the GBR, but I've dove there as well as the Coral Sea. You're right that the outer reefs are better. The further North is also better. The visibility gets better the further off shore you get. Keep in mind that the reefs are quite far off shore, so it helps if one's comfortable on boats. I dove a liveaboard with Prodive Cairns, which also runs snorkeling trips. Cairns is a great place. Port Douglas is also nice, but Cairns is nicer. I'd vote for Cod Hole and Ribbons Reefs. Remember snorleling sites are often different. Hope this helps some.

ladyshark
03/31/2015, 09:10 PM
Great, thanks!

Anyone else been there, done that and have favorite spots?

ScuderiaTech
04/28/2015, 09:42 AM
If you have time before or during I would highly recommend getting your open water cert! You can only see a small percentage of sea life from the surface! Getting my open water cert was life changing!