PDA

View Full Version : Roger refusing food :(

Hadla
03/28/2015, 10:47 PM
So over the past week when I've given Roger his shrimp piece, he'd grab it and go into his cave... About an hour later I look in the tank and the whole shrimp piece is sitting out, tried to give it back to him and he wouldn't take it. I tried to give him a clam half an hour ago and he wouldn't touch it! When I've given him clams before, he'd grab it and swim off to start punching it.

Maybe he's getting ready to molt? He's only molted once for me and I didn't notice any changes in his behavior... I only happened to look one day and see an exoskeleton lying on the sand!

Calappidae
03/29/2015, 01:13 PM
I would say up coming molt.

Don't over feed them either as they may reject food if they're full. 3 times a week is usually efficent. Their stomache is around as big as their eye too so they store leftover food.

Hadla
03/29/2015, 05:57 PM
And here I was thinking he wasn't getting enough! Is feeding every other day ok? That's when I feed all my fish

Hadla
03/29/2015, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the stomach info! I'll remember to cut smaller pieces out of shrimp for him :)

Martini5788
03/30/2015, 10:50 AM
I would say up coming molt.

Don't over feed them either as they may reject food if they're full. 3 times a week is usually efficent. Their stomache is around as big as their eye too so they store leftover food.

Yes that is wonderful info. Thanks. I have definitely been overzealous with the food :)

Calappidae
03/30/2015, 07:51 PM
And here I was thinking he wasn't getting enough! Is feeding every other day ok? That's when I feed all my fish

Yeah that's fine. Mine gets fed every other day as well.

Just I recall roy emphasizing their pea sized stomache and how much they really need to eat. Leftover food is usually stored in their burrow (which becomes pretty messy, reason why some of us install pumps for their burrows).

Kharn
03/31/2015, 08:31 AM
Their emotional feeders in aquariums where they pick up on routine...

What is willingly accepted one day can often be refused the next on the simple grounds that the animal knows it can get something else by 'sulking' depending whether or not their offered a diversity of foods.

I have found that it is best to limit their intake which in tern increases their interactivity due to them constantly foraging and searching for food, this will make them more aggressive too...

To keep one as "safely" as possible in a community tank it's best to keep them full as often as possible so they expect the hand out rather then turn their eyes to other inhabitants.

It's the simple logic of energy conservation and when these animals are basically little nukes that expend great amounts of energy, the conservation OF that energy is quite important and because their not so stupid and pick up on routines well simply put...

They would rather get what food requires less energy then food that requires more energy, hence they can be "keeled" in that manner of "Expectation:Energy Conservation".

Hadla
03/31/2015, 09:26 AM

Martini5788
03/31/2015, 09:33 AM
Yeah that's fine. Mine gets fed every other day as well.

Just I recall roy emphasizing their pea sized stomache and how much they really need to eat. Leftover food is usually stored in their burrow (which becomes pretty messy, reason why some of us install pumps for their burrows).

Sorry to hijack your thread hadla, but can you show a picture of what kind of pump you put in the burrow and how you go about doing that? I would greatly appreciate it

Kharn
03/31/2015, 06:40 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread hadla, but can you show a picture of what kind of pump you put in the burrow and how you go about doing that? I would greatly appreciate it

Pretty sure he got that from me and my large O.scyllarus burrow :)..

There were 2 Eheim 300's at either end of the burrow with a soft anti crimp tubing that was feeding the flow from pump into burrow via a cut hole in the burrow.

http://i.imgur.com/RfGVkqpl.jpg

Calappidae
03/31/2015, 08:05 PM
Exactly^

Mine was more lazily done with just a random vinyl tube stuffed in a drilled hole in the center of the PVC burrow. The pump kinda just sat there dangling from the power cord 8 inches to the left of the hole, since positioning the vinyl was pretty hard. It's not as flexible as you would think with only 2 inches from the glass available lol.

I do not have it installed currently, after a pipe upgrade (or in this case down grade for a smaller gal) I didn't bother to get specific with the pipe. When I know I won't be tearing the burrow apart again for awhile I'll probably insert another, but more professional looking.

But like kharn said, I mostly got everything from the idea, to the pump model from him.

Martini5788
03/31/2015, 08:45 PM
I think I am going to do that when I set up the 40 b. I picked it up yesterday and am trying to research all the specifics. Unfortunately I won't be able to connect it to my main display so I am gonna have to come up with another plan.

Kharn
03/31/2015, 09:22 PM

You would be surprised, like I said they pick up on routines/patterns and are very emotional feeders...sulking comes from the discarding of 1 food that was often frequently accepted and then when another food is introduced they will greedily accept it.... :headwally:

Hadla
03/31/2015, 11:42 PM
Ha it reminded me of how puffers have that sulky look sometimes!

Also, update on Roger: I haven't seen him in three days so it must be a molt

Martini5788
04/01/2015, 07:18 AM
Ha it reminded me of how puffers have that sulky look sometimes!

Also, update on Roger: I haven't seen him in three days so it must be a molt

Exactly!! That's why my puffers are obese. They are fantastic beggars. Hadla are you a member of pf? Your username looks familiar

Hadla
04/01/2015, 09:28 AM
Ha yeah! I use Hadla on all sites I join lol

Martini5788
04/01/2015, 09:38 AM
That's so funny, I recognized it the first time I saw it but wasn't sure. Then you said puffer and I knew it! What kind do you have again?

Martini5788
04/01/2015, 09:44 AM
If you lived closer I think we would be good friends. I have an African grey, puffers, and a peacock now lol. Similarly minded I suppose

Hadla
04/01/2015, 04:47 PM
A gsp, valentini, dps, and an irrubesco... Love African greys! Who are you on tpf?

Martini5788
04/01/2015, 06:01 PM
Same name minus an 8. Haven't been on there in months though. I just have a ridiculous memory for random things like this haha. I have a f8 and a valentini

Hadla
04/02/2015, 07:55 AM
Yeah I also remember things that other people don't :/

I had an f8 two years ago but I couldn't seem to get the brackish thing right so I gave her to someone

Martini5788
04/02/2015, 09:35 AM
Yeah I'm about to do the same thing. My reason is that I am sick of breeding snails, they are so messy! Mine will only eat live snails and bloodworms now [emoji34].

Hadla
04/02/2015, 10:29 AM
Lol my snail tank has my betta and Kuhlis in it. I couldn't have a tank just for snails!

Martini5788
04/02/2015, 11:18 AM
Believe me I wish I didn't. I have so many of them I don't have a choice. They destroy water quality

Hadla
04/02/2015, 01:02 PM
Assassin snails are your friend then ;)

Martini5788
04/02/2015, 01:27 PM
Haha that sounds dangerous...

Martini5788
04/02/2015, 01:27 PM
How is roger btw?

Hadla
04/02/2015, 06:45 PM
I saw him peeking out of his burrow but haven't seen him come out... I think I'll try giving him a snail when I get home to see if he's hungry

EI Gringo
04/15/2015, 08:58 AM
They love snails, go crazy for them (live snails)

Hadla
04/16/2015, 02:35 PM
Yep that's why I have a breeding tank set up for ramshorns