PDA

View Full Version : New Salifert Calcium tests are pretty much unusable

tinysuperbug
03/29/2015, 12:32 AM
I've used Salifert test kits since around 2007-2008ish, and I've always liked the color and endpoints, which is the main reason I've come back to them even though I probably should have looked elsewhere (there have been some QC issues here and there).

I just purchased 2 new calcium test, and they are now completely unusable/unreadable compared to how they used to work.

The spoon for the indicator crystals has been changed to a very small size, and the color of the test solution is not really even pink to start with, if you're anywhere near bluish lighting. (I have tank lighting and a very yellowish interior lighting to compare with)

The endpoint also seems much more vague.

I've tested it with some of my older indicator dye and the test seems to work much more like the old style, so maybe i'll just keep it and use the extra I have left over to make it readable again. (Not sure if it's supposed to be compatible or not, but it seems to work).

I doubt I'll be purchasing any more salifert ever again after this though.

Anyone else have this issue? New Calcium kit with the small red spoon?

DiscusHeckel
03/29/2015, 04:27 AM
Can you please provide a picture of the spoon?

My Ca test kits have always had red spoons, but recently the colour of the spoon has changed to white. However, its volume is exactly the same. I have been using this test kit since 2008.

Stackemdeep
03/29/2015, 07:45 AM
Interesting. I just opened a new Salifert Ca test and did not notice a difference at all. Using good lighting and doing the test over a white background has always made Salifert tests easy to read. I use them and find them reliable and accurate. A friend of mine struggled with a competing kit and we discovered that at the end of the day, when he was tired his eyes did not process the color as well as in the morning. After doing morning tests in the bathroom away from tank in daylight lighting he had no further problems with the test. IMO they make a quality hobby grade product.

dkeller_nc
03/29/2015, 08:25 AM
I've not had any issues with their Calcium kit - my current one has an expiration date of August 2019. If you'd like the indicator color to be more saturated (i.e., intense), you can add up to twice the instruction's amount without substantially affecting the result.

It might also help to do the test in natural daylight from a north-facing window; I do all of my tests at a north-facing kitchen window to reduce changes in lighting intensity/color.

tinysuperbug
03/29/2015, 08:27 AM
Ok, so the first kits I was using were much older than I had thought, (expired but still seemed to work just fine.) I'd taken a break from the hobby for a while and still had this stuff when I got back in.

They used to use much larger blue spoons. Do a google search, salifert blue spoon, you'll find threads as late as 2012 talking about a change, with reference pics.

It seems the change is only to save on dye as far as I can tell. Disappointing, as that was the main reason I used them. Such bright color and immediately visible color endpoints.

tldr: I guess it's been red for a few years already. Still bummed. Old out of date kits shouldn't work better than new ones. I'll probably just use extra dye (including my older dye) seeing as it works much better and doesn't alter the results.

Pretty old news I guess, but here's the difference in spoon sizes. It's probably less than half the volume of the old type.
http://i.imgur.com/V0w7ZO3.jpg

dkeller_nc
03/29/2015, 08:32 AM
BTW - after using up several of the Salifert Ca test kits, there's always been a good deal of the indicator dye powder left after depletion of the EDTA titration reagent. So using extra of the dye powder should be feasible without reducing the number of tests you can get from a given box.

tinysuperbug
03/29/2015, 08:38 AM
BTW - after using up several of the Salifert Ca test kits, there's always been a good deal of the indicator dye powder left after depletion of the EDTA titration reagent. So using extra of the dye powder should be feasible without reducing the number of tests you can get from a given box.

Yeah, I was just thinking and wondering how much extra there is, as there seems to be some left over even in the old kits . There's definitely less in the bottles than the older version though. Not sure if there's enough for double the amount on each test. Would be interesting to test.

Also, now I know why salifert was always so strong on the color. Other tests were always harder to read, seems they've had that larger spoon and more dye. now the difference isn't so drastic.

disc1
03/29/2015, 11:08 AM
Adding extra dye won't affect the results. Just do 2 scoops instead of 1.

fessoclown
01/19/2016, 12:06 PM
Old thread but digging it up because I can't remember which spoon to use as I didn't put it back into the box last time I checked CA. (about 3 months ago..lol)

So the spoon is only for dye and I don't have to worry about which spoon? I have a pile of red and blue spoons....

Is that the same for all types of Salifert tests?

I think I know the answer but would appreciate a confirmation.

Thanks!

disc1
01/19/2016, 02:53 PM
The amount of the indicator powder isn't critical to the accuracy of the test. More indicator just means darker colors up to a reasonable limit (ie. Don't just put the whole vial in there). The parts that affect the results are the sample size and the amount of titrant delivered from the syringe.

Whichever version you have, you can always double up on the indicator if it helps you see the endpoint better.