PDA

View Full Version : Chilli Coral

JoeVandal49
03/29/2015, 02:25 PM
So the LFS has a chilli coral discounted. Its been there awhile. Its never extended its polyps.

Another local reefer was in today, and he took the other one that was in last week and has been able to get it to perk up and have the polyps extend.

He said he stuck it in a cave with an inward current.

Well, i just so happen to have a similar feature in my 55g, so for $10 for a fairly large coral, i figured i would give it a shot.

No problem doing multiple feedings per day, spot feeding, etc if necessary. I work from home.

Any and all care tips and advice are appreciated.

chefbill
03/30/2015, 08:58 AM
I have 2. Hang them upside down, out of light. I rarely target feed the one in my 29g, but that is a more mature tank, I may need to feed the one in my new 90g. When I do feed, I used Oysterfeast.

JoeVandal49
03/30/2015, 06:44 PM
Thanks for sharing chefbill! Good looking coral!

I have mounted it under an overhang that has a nice current running underneath in full shade. It has started to extend its branches some, and also now has little dots exposed which im assuming are where polyps will extend, so it is definitely alive.

When i first pulled it out of the bag it was hard as a rock.

Ill update if it decides it wants to survive in my system.

JoeVandal49
04/06/2015, 07:13 PM
Chefbill, Does your Chilli coral ever "shed" for lack of a better term? Mine is currently dropping red fuzzy skin. Last few days it has been expanding and showing its polyps. I still havent seen it fully extended at night yet, but it looks much better than when i got it, minus the shedding.

The shedding seems to be occurring on the branches that have extended the most.

chefbill
04/12/2015, 12:21 AM
Shed? Like a toadstool does? No, but I wish it did, as it has some hair algae on it. FYI the new one in my 90g is no more. When it's polyps were extended, they were just nubs, never any frills. I think it starved at the LFS and was too far gone to live in my realively sterile 90g. Rather heart rending as they are a beautiful red and white. I wanted it as a pseudo center piece, right smack dab in the middle. Patience, young grasshopper.