PDA

View Full Version : haddoni or gig?

Zimmer
03/29/2015, 04:24 PM
I'm in the process of planning a "re-do" of my current setup. I've got a very stable, 2 yr old 90gal mixed reef with mainly LPS, some zoas, shrooms, and leathers, and just a couple SPS. Sig has equipment info.

I've got a pair of snowflake perculas that I would like to bring home a nem for. I have had multiple bta in my mixed reef, and have been unhappy with the results (walking around, stinging, etc.), which is why I now have a separate cube for my rbta and clarkiis.

I would really love to have a "natural" host but am hesitant to take on a mag or even a gig. I have never owned anemones other than bta. My LFS has a pretty nice haddoni and from what I've researched they are hardier and a bit easier for the "advanced beginner" :dance: - but alas, haddoni's are not a "natural" host for my snowflakes.

Is the difficulty level so different between a haddoni and a gig? I guess I'm wondering why the haddoni is considered "easier"?

Do I go with the haddoni knowing they clowns may not take to it (or worse, get eaten), or do I start out with a gigantica? OR a mag? I'm torn..... :uhoh3: But gotta make a concrete decision so I can move forward with the rearrangement of stuff and planning since they all need different things.....

Zimmer
03/29/2015, 07:00 PM
Nobody?

dsmooth
03/29/2015, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't go haddoni. My snows never went near it.plus it ate a couple of my fish.

addictedreefer
03/29/2015, 09:40 PM
Big difference in difficulty. Gigs are even touchier than mags IME and far less receptive to treatment.

CoralsAddiction
03/29/2015, 10:04 PM
If you can find a healthy gig then go for it. Your clowns will love it!

D-Nak
03/29/2015, 10:39 PM
Big difference in difficulty. Gigs are even touchier than mags IME and far less receptive to treatment.

+1. All of the magnifica I've treated have made it. I'm probably at a 10% success rate with gigantea.

If you can find a healthy gig then go for it. Your clowns will love it!

The trick is finding a healthy one. I'd venture to guess that maybe 20% of all gigs that are newly imported don't require treatment. All others will die without intibiotic treatment, and many of those treated still die. To make things worse, many newly imported gigs actually don't look sick. It takes up to 3 weeks to show symptoms.

Haddoni are considered easier because they are better shippers, and therefore don't require treatment with the frequency of mags or gigs.

Once gigs, mags and haddoni are established, they're actually very hardy. However, if a sick nem is introduced it can infect healthy nems. I've had a sick gig indirectly infect both gigs and haddoni that shared a tank.

For gigs, mags, and haddoni, be prepared to treat as a precaution. Read this sticky and consider the effort involved:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385

If you're not willing to follow the protocol (a week commitment is require with LOTS of water changes) either find a healthy nem from another reefer, or choose another nem species.

Zimmer
03/30/2015, 11:15 AM
I'm 100% planning on being set up to treat with cipro before I bring anything home.... I actually work in a veterinary clinic so I have easy access to cipro and already have a 29g tank sitting dry waiting to become a hospital tank.

I'm really leaning away from a haddoni. The one at LFS looks nice but I do not want my clowns to be snacks! Too risky for me.

For some reason I was under the impression that mags were the more difficult option vs a gig but that seems to be not the case? Because in my mind I was wanting mag>gig but not confident I can support one..... I will need more flow...

OrionN
03/30/2015, 12:39 PM
Magnifica is easier to get healthy. They both require about the same level of care, high light and high circulation with stable water paramenter, but hardy when established. I do think Magnifica tolerate injury better. We know that with good care, Magnifica can be propagate by manual division but Gigantea cannot.

REEFBUILDER1
03/30/2015, 02:24 PM
Magnifica is easier to get healthy. They both require about the same level of care, high light and high circulation with stable water paramenter, but hardy when established. I do think Magnifica tolerate injury better. We know that with good care, Magnifica can be propagate by manual division but Gigantea cannot.

Is a merten more difficult to care for?

OrionN
03/30/2015, 02:28 PM
I never have and Mertensii. Too difficult to get one.

Daniel62
03/30/2015, 05:22 PM
I will speak for the haddoni, I will eat you if I can. I have quite a few of these, and aside from the clowns that are already being hosted, they have eaten their fair share of fish, snail, urchin, crabs you get the picture. My red seems to be the most aggressive of the bunch.

Zimmer
03/30/2015, 10:04 PM
Well we shall see. Hubby really wants a haddoni so we may just get a pair of occ's or tomato's to go with it and set up something else for the percs.... So many choices!!

CoralsAddiction
03/30/2015, 10:16 PM
I don't think either would be any better than percs for a Haddoni. You are better off with Clarkii or Skunk clowns for the Haddoni.

Winwood
03/30/2015, 11:53 PM
Is a merten more difficult to care for?

Merten's might be the least pickiest of all the hosting species, as long as a healthy specimen is obtained. My current one is an absolute tank and seems to tolerate a wide range of conditions.

nanomarine
03/31/2015, 09:07 AM
I have a hadonni and a gigantea with 2 black onyx clowns in my tank. The female clown hosted in either carpets while the male only venture in the gigantea sometimes. I have never seen him in the Haddoni though.

I have a large hammer colony near the top that both clowns like to hang out there during the day, presumably it's situated near the surface so they're in a better position to compete for food.

So pick your favorite home for the clown and hope for the best.