PDA

View Full Version : reef safe?

wolfram92
03/30/2015, 06:25 PM
Do you think a flame angel or a leopard puffer would be fine in a reef tank. All I can find is with caution. And I'd really love to get those

ichthyogeek
03/30/2015, 06:47 PM
Besides the obvious, I see no reason not to.

Flame angels are deep water fish, and should only prefer to eat sponges. They're predominantly carnivores. They've been known to nip at the fleshier of LPS like Trachyphyllia. I wouldn't trust them with small shrimp like Thor. It might peck at some softies like Xenia.

Leopard puffers (Canthigaster, right?) should be somewhat safe. I wouldn't dare to keep them with LPS, clams, or shrimp.

The reason it says "with caution" (I'm assuming DFS LA here), is because they can live in certain reef tanks, but not all reef tanks. For example, you could probably keep a leopard toby in a softie reef, but not anywhere near Tridacna.

golferbud101691
03/30/2015, 07:07 PM
Ive heard of flame angles acting perfect normal for months(playing nicely) and then overnight destroy lps for no reason. They are beautiful no doubt, but its a risk.

o2manyfish
03/30/2015, 09:25 PM
I've been keeping Flame Angels in Reefs for close to 30 years. I have had a couple that have had to be swapped for picking at clams. I've kept as many as 4 together at once. I've kept them with all kinds of corals and never had an issue with them doing any obvious damage.

Dave B

wolfram92
03/31/2015, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the help guys I guys I'll just be carefull choosing corals.

wolfram92
03/31/2015, 09:49 AM
Also with the puffer what would be the best cuc?

brett559
03/31/2015, 12:56 PM
My flame angel has been good so far. Always picking at something on the rocks, but hasn't touched any LPS or zoas. I waffled for a while - I really wanted one, but knew of the risk. The owner of my LFS, he has serviced tanks for 30+ years, had a view similar to Dave B's. He told me he keeps a flame angel in every single reef tank he manages (doctor's offices, etc.) and has never had a problem. Hopefully, mine stays out of trouble...

ichthyogeek
03/31/2015, 03:49 PM
With a puffer? Absolutely nothing. All invertebrates are prey. If it's a big tank, I'd suggest getting a fish cleanup crew, rather than inverts (blennies and tangs for algae, sandsifting gobies for detritus, etc.)

I found enough empty shells when keeping a valentini to know that all mobile inverts are prey. It would take down giant pieces of shrimp fed to it, and still peck at the new hermit crabs I added that night.